Incubating temperature

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mem79, Sep 11, 2008.

1. mem79

mem79 In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    Malvern, PA
    So, I am on day 17 for my eggs and I just realized that i got the temperature mixed up. I have had them on 95.5 instead of 99.5. How dumb of me to get the temp mixed up like that. I have spent all this time turning them and buying supplies all to maybe mess is up like that. Does anyone know if there is a possibility they will be ok? I candled them yesterday and 3 out of 6 looked like quite a mass but with no movement. I have read many things about it being bad for the temp to be too high but what about too low.
    Any help would be great, thanks!
    Michelle

2. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    At that temperature they should be dead.

If there are signs that they have grown substantially, then your thermometer may be wrong (lucky misfortune)

Generally they can survive a degree down, although the hatch will be delayed. 4 degrees is too much, and you should be seeing blood rings in the eggs, with very little development.

You might be lucky. Check the temp with another, accurat thermometer, and remember to check at the correct level for the incubator you are using

3. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    They will likely take longer to hatch, you may want to raise the temp and then candle to see if you can see how developed they are before moving to the hatcher or stopping turning.

Maybe someone else will answer that has had this happen.

4. mem79

mem79 In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    Malvern, PA
    I have 6 eggs. This is my first time candling, so I don't know what I'm looking at.
    Two had an obvious blood ring and one looked infertile altogether. The other 3 looked like they definitely developed, but are you saying that they would have developed and then not survived long after that. Should i even try to turn the temp up now? If a few are alive, when do i stop turning?

5. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Try PM to Miss Prissy and ask her opinion. I have hatched several but not at a low temp. Not sure but logic tells me if they do survive that they will be ebhind schedule and you may need to keep turning for a few more days.
    I would definitely try to get other opinions

6. coloradochick

coloradochick Songster

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Michelle, here's reason enough NOT to give up: I put some of my own eggs in my Brower Tophatch (2nd time for trying to hatch my own eggs) 1st time I had temp spike of 111 and had 0% hatch. Anyways, my day 21 for this hatch was on the 5th of Sept. I am now on day 27 with 3 1 day olds in the brooder, 1 zipping in the bator and 1 rocking the egg. The rest either died just days ago or didn't develope. But my temps this go round were anywhere from 88 degrees to 108. It has been a very stressful past 7 days. It just goes to show that nothing is written in stone with this incubating stuff so don't give up hope [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I answered your PM's.

8. mem79

mem79 In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    Malvern, PA
    Thanks for the message of hope.
    Did you candle at all? What did they look like at this stage? Did you see masses or movement?

I got your PM's missprissy - thank you and I will follow that for the next several days. Oh, do I keep turning, though?

The only reason I have hope is b/c there were some that obviously developed and I would have turned it down soon after I started as I remember thinking the temp was high and worrying about that. Turns out they were at the right temp then.
    Why didn't I just look at the sheet again! So, I guess it was high enough to jump start growth, but not sure how long they lived after that.

Anyway, I guess I'll keep going, but I don't want to keep the kids' hope up.
    I am pregnant again, also - thank goodness my uterus is on auto temp!

9. coloradochick

coloradochick Songster

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Congrats on the baby!!!

I did candle to make sure there was movement. Many didn't so I took them out but there were several that did. I even had one that hatch Tues night and passed yesterday afternoon, she was adorable, but she got flipped over on her back and when I got home that's the way I found her. Very upsetting since she was my first ever baby to hatch.
    Then another passed as she was zipping. But considering the high temps that took place more than once, I'm ecstatic that I have the babies I do.

You just never know...............

Good luck! Keep us posted!

10. mem79

mem79 In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    Malvern, PA
    yes, I'm guessing thats what I will get - if any hatch at all it looks like they will have deformed organs and not live long. We shall see...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by