Incubating troubles

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yadaguhtoo, Jun 14, 2011.

1. yadaguhtoo

yadaguhtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    I have Little Giant still air inc. w/turner. My first hatch did not turn out so great (only 3 out of 13 hatched) I think my temp was to low but I was worried about cooking them. My second batch I upped my temp and things seemed to be going good until I think day 18 when I took them out of the turner. One egg pipped early (day 19) and died. Then I had 4 hatch out on day 21 all healthy:) I waited a couple more days and then nothing else. When I opened the leftover eggs to see what had happened they all were fully formed except they never obsorbed their yolk sac so I assumed they died on day 18 when I took them out of the turner. Does anybody know what I might have done wrong? This hatch was 4 out of 12 but could have been a lot better:(
    I kept my incubator temp as close to 100.5 as I could and my humidity at 50-60% for the first 18 days and then 70-75% the last 3 days. I would love any ideas:)

2. madabouthens

madabouthens Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    same with me , it annoys me that they get so close but never make it

3. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Your chicks are drowning in the shell. You have your humidity way too high for the first 18 days. You should have it around 40%. Anything above 45% and it stops the albumin from evaporating. As soon as the chick pips internally, the albumin floods the air cell. After day 18, the humidity should be bumped at or above 60%.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I agree, I think your humidity is too high.

5. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Thank you . I will try lower humidity next time. Does this cause the yolk sac not to absorb before the hatch also? Like I said they died before pip with the yolk sac not absorbed, I thought maybe it was something I did wrong taking them out of the turner, I tried to be quick and keep my heat level as ok as I could. The temp did drop a touch but went back to normal shortly. Also, how soon can I move the babies out to the coop? My first hatchlings are almost 5 weeks and they seem like they are ready to go out and roost. Our night time temps are in the 50's right now.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    5 weeks their ready!!

7. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    Thank you 7L Farm. I will put them out tomorrow, while it's sunny:)

8. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:sorry about your bad hatch but i keep my temp 99.5 and 50-60% humidity too and then 70-75% the last 3 days as well! when you set the eggs in the turner was the pointed end of the shell resting in the turner? or did you have the pointed up facing up? and with my LG still air i only had 4 chicks out of 41 eggs live but i didnt know anything about candling the eggs or what my humidity was either plus i had the eggs in the turner upside down

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    My humidity during the first 18 days is around 40 to 50%. On day 18 when I set the eggs for hatching I bring my humidity up to 65 to 70%.
    [​IMG]

10. yadaguhtoo

Jun 14, 2011
    Washington State
    I do think my humidity was to high after all of your responses. I thought though with a still air your suppose to keep your temp as close to 100.5 as you can? I did thank goodness put the eggs in the turner pointy end down. I love your pic cmom:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by