Incubating Turkey Eggs...HELP

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Shiningfeather, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Ok, I have successfully hatched chicken eggs in my bator but now I have turkey eggs I need to hatch. I came home yesterday after work and a family member had came to see my DH. We have been getting chick eggs from him to hatch. Anyway, he brought 14 turkey eggs for us to hatch and I have no clue how. I need to know temp, humidity, days to hatch, everything! Can someone please give me info, or a page that has all the info so I have a clue what I am doing. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. rbseggs

rbseggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    keep everything the same as you do for the chickens but they incubate for 28 days instead. temp, humidity, and turning is all the same. Day 25 stop turning.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    What kind of incubator are you using? The settings are different. We use a GQF Sportsman and the same settings as for chicken eggs- temp 99.8 to 100F, RH% about 40 to 50% thru the hatch, raise to 60% when you stop turning. Stop turning the eggs at 25 days, hatch 28 days-ish. Ours hatch about day 27 since our temp is just a touch high. The recommended temp is 99.5. for a forced air.

Best thing to start with is check the manual for your incubator. Let us know what type you are using and more than likely somebody has the same thing and can give you more specific tips on what works for them.

"Everybody loves a turkey"

Steve in NC

4. Struttn1

Struttn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Southern Illinois
    Yep turkey and chicken eggs are very much the same with the exception of 1 week in incubation time. In fact you can hatch both at the same time by adding chicken eggs on day 7 of incubation of the turkey eggs.

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    nothing is different from one bator to another.. only thing that might be different is how you arrive at the proper temp and hum%....

proper temp 99.5F
    hum% 40% to 45% day 1 thru 25
    hum% 60% thru last days

Note: I am hatching some (5) with goose eggs at 60% day 1 thru 25.

I will let you know how it goes..

6. Shiningfeather

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    I have a LG still air and I have a turner.

Also can I raise turkeys with my chicks? I got more chick eggs I am going to put n my second bator, and need to know if I can put them together after all have hatched. I want to make sure the turkeys wont hurt my chicks since they will (I assume) larger than my chicks.

Thanks Struttn1 for the info about putting the eggs together as I have more chick eggs than I can fit in my second bator.

Good luck jvls1942!!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  7. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Your turkeys will be bigger, but not as bright as a chicken(sounds funny now that I read it) but it is recommended that you have a chick(usually a bantam,because a regular chick is too intimidating) with your turkeys so they can learn where food/water is.

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:thank you.. it is just an experiment.
    I did not want to start up another bator just yet. and these eggs are the very first from a first time layer. might not even be fertile..

Of course, with 6 toms, they should be somewhat fertile, you suppose?[​IMG]

I raise my turkeys with chickens.. all the books say don't do it.. there is a disease called blackhead that most chickens are immune to, but are carriers.. turkeys are not immune,

we keep a bottle of Sulmet on hand for the treatment of coccicidiosis.. have had to use it only one time for a bird.. not even sure that is what she had, but it cured her, nontheless..

9. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Quote:There is a difference between the temp setting of a still air incubator and a forced air incubator.

Steve in NC

10. Shiningfeather

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Quote:There is a difference between the temp setting of a still air incubator and a forced air incubator.

Steve in NC

Yes, I have that one down. I was thinking the same when I read that post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by