Incubating & Turning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pjquail, Aug 10, 2014.

1. pjquail

pjquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2014
    Hey! I was just wondering a question (or 3). If you are 3 days into incubation, can you switch over to the dry hatch method or no? I'm just wondering because I've heard a lot of good things about the dry hatch method so I thought about giving it a try if possible. Also, how many times a day do you recommend me turning my eggs; I turn them 4 times a day (8am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm). And one last question: I've heard that instead of hand turning eggs you can just prop your egg carton/cooler incubator and prop it up 3-5 different angles each day? How well does that work, and do you recommend it? Thanks so much! Hope you can help.[​IMG]

2. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    I was, or am really, in the same boat as PJQuail...I have been turning my eggs whenever I go check the incubator for temp., etc..
    An article I found here stated that some have found a more successful hatch rate when they frequently turned the eggs through day 7 and then they slowed that rate down to 'normal'. I leave eggs partially slanted in their carton pockets overnight ( for me that equals about 4-6 hours ). Then I both slant the carton and/or rotate the eggs throughout the day. I also decided that, wise or not, as I am completely new to this, to leave a very lightly dampened sponge in with eggs to bump up humidity, and then remove it first thing in the morning. I figured out my hygrometer is garbage, so while I wait to replace it I will stay on the conservative side with humidity... until I can confidently start the candling process.
    I am too inexperienced at this to offer exacting advise other than research, research, research!
    The one thing regarding attempting the Dry Hatch method is to keep in mind...you have to have good humidity in the ambient surroundings for this to be effective ( that's the problem I am running into now. ) any other summer we 'd be bathing in it and of course, not this summer...hence overnight sponge!
    Look forward to hearing others stories as I am fretting much over these little guys and keep hoping/working towards the best.

3. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Does Anyone Live Near St. Catharines, ON?

4. pjquail

Aug 7, 2014
    Okay thanx a lot HugHess! I have been trying to frequently turn my eggs as much as possible due to my schedule, and go to check on the temp. & hum. every 10 mins. My mom says that I'm too protective over my eggs, but I just think I'm not protective ENOUGH! I literally get 3-5 hours of sleep every night just to make sure my temp. & humidity is on point. Anyway, I also leave a wide and long water container with a damp wash cloth in it daily and nightly to regulate the humidity.

[​IMG] And as you can see, since the back eggs do not get as much light and heat, every time I turn my eggs, I also rotate the carton to let the back/side eggs be in the front. Do you think that I should purchase a fan to put in the corner of my bator, like to the right of the light bulb to regulate and spread the temp.? Thanx again! [​IMG]

5. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    That's one of the other bazillion questions that are making me crazy! I bought my bator at a deal, and THEN did the research! I have the Hovabator 1602N Still Air.
    It seems almost a split decision leaning towards fan... Again it seems to depend on ambient conditions and how 'correct' your bator's thermal disk works...along with your opinion on what YOU think is best...
    I keep touting Brinsea.com's site for the opinions/articles they have collectively posted along the bottom left side of their home screen. Check that out, along with the bazillion opinions listed here and maybe you can get a better handle on which route to take.
    I feel for you in regards to 'protection' and
    lack, there of, in sleep. LOL/CRY QUIETLY :eek:
    Do the best we can and with a little luck we can keep it moving in the right direction...

6. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    Forgot to say, LOVE your set up?
    Whut cha got in there?
    I hope to see some (any) Lavender Orps in 16-19 days, God willing?

7. pjquail

Aug 7, 2014
    Thanx! I have a 25 watt light bulb, wide container full of water and a damp cloth, a temp. & humidity monitor, a hardware cloth cage for the bulb so when the chicks hatch they don't burn themselves, and a stryofoam barrier thing to block some of the heat so it doesn't get over 100 degrees. I'm hatching some bobwhites actually that will be out and chirping soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by