Incubating Twin ducklings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by noonoocar, Jul 28, 2013.

1. noonoocar

noonoocar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2012
    Hi all. This is our first time incubating ducklings. We tried using our female duck last month to hatch ducklings but it ended in disaster so therefore we are using an incubator. We have one confirmed set of twins which I'm sad about because I know that chances are the one will not make it. Lastnight I was checking on the eggs and when I was candling I seemed to find 4 more eggs where the yolk seems to have split. I was in shear panic mode at that point ! It's so nerve wracking at hatch time worrying about one duckling let alone a whole wack of twins! I'm going to include one of the pics to show you and see what you think? Any info would be helpful. I tried looking for 2 embryos swimming around but was very difficult. Thanks

Sheri
    [​IMG]

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    well, you look like you have twins, don't be too scared if they move around and you see more movement, I have been tricked by yolk sacks thinking they were and ex chick- might still be just the 2

3. noonoocar

Jun 22, 2012
    does that not look like two complete sets of veins? you know? I have a set of twins that are due around Aug 6th that I can no longer see because it's too dark in there :) but a little worried about all these sets im suddenly seeing LOL!!!!!

4. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Funny I didn't think too much about it, but I just placed a chicken egg and candled it today, day 6? and it looks the same. double? We will see...
    [​IMG]

5. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    The best of luck! Hopefully both chicks will peep at the same time! Be prepared to help with the hatch, as they will not be able to turn around to hatch normally. Some food for thought!

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have hatched before. so I will be patient. I set up nurseries and have chick quilts and heating pads for the day. this is a different batch the chicks out side the wire hatched on their own but earlier, the caged batch needed help but were weaker, so they got separated till they were strong enough.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here is the same chicks on their quilt. the 2 dark chicks on the quilt to the back were the separated chicks. this quilt they were on for a bout 2 hrs. they did a good job keeping it clean. they would sleep on it and hop off to poo.

7. noonoocar

Jun 22, 2012
    really good advice to cage the wee weaker ones and the heating pad I like :) I have a heating lamp but can also put the heating pad in there. Since I posted this I have confirmed 5 sets of twins [​IMG]Im kind of freaking out because this is our first time hatching anything and to have this many sets of twins all due at the same time.....OMGGGGGG!!!!!!! They're all due next week. Of course I've been reading like crazy and have watched a video of a successful twin hatch but this is crazy! I think our heatwave did something to my eggs LOL. Ive never heard of anyone having this many sets of twins before all from the same duck too.

8. Jessica Lynn

Jessica Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2013
    CC, Texas
    OMG so cool! I have to subscribe to this thread!

9. mbbrinegar

mbbrinegar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2013
    NC
    Really cool. Hope the hatching goes well. [​IMG]

10. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    interesting more people don't have twins double yolks are not uncommon. I use hand warmers they are more practical than a heating pad. the weak ones in the little cage really wanted to be with the other chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by