1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurel Meadows

Laurel Meadows Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 5, 2014
    Ohio
    @Sally Sunshine
    Thanks for asking about the kiddos :) I think we've finally turned the corner! We dealt with flu, fevers, pneumonia, ear infections and a bad cold between the 4 kids. I think I can put the hazmat suit and quarantine tape away now lol. ***shudders***

Since I'm on a roll with good news, I also re-candled the mixed eggs due 11/22 (since I was baffled about only having 1 developing egg after seeing good fertile bulls eyes.) WELL...I am happy to report I have 1 more! How did I miss that the first time? I was candling with my 4 year old daughter in the room. And I must have candled the same dud twice.
    Note to self: Do not candle when the children are bothering... I mean "helping" me.

Pics or it didn't happen, right?
    Here's my green egg day 10:

[​IMG]

I'm curious to know what the deal is with the other 4 but my husband asked me to leave them in there just a little while longer, just in case. Since he just built me a big insulated coop and new brooder I couldn't say no ;-)

2. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Actually, I'm not.sure we used either. He just grabbed some random rods from the garage. Yet it did work

3. kwhites634

kwhites634 Father Time Premium Member

I've heard that the really good diviners, or water witches, can find water with a wire coat hanger.

4. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Ur-ur-ur-urrr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    They don't have % on the built-in hygrometer. I'll have to see where the needle's pointing when I hit 30ish % on the IncuTherm Plus... as it might be handy if something happens to the electronic gauge. This is what the dial gauge looks like on the Incuveiw:

[​IMG]

5. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Wow that's so weird. Does that mean we're good at it then? Hah not sure i wanna be lol

6. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    Any stiff, un-insulated wire will work. Never tried with aluminum, but I doubt it would work since it isn't a magnetic metal.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  7. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of how I calibrated my thermometer. I put the thermometer inside a zip bag (all air sucked out) and then stuck that inside the bag of ice water. You can't tell in the picture, but the water was actually starting to turn "slushy" with ice crystals. My final readout was 32.2F for this thermometer. only .2 off. Yay. I used this thermometer to calibrate my others, as it's portable and my others are not easily calibrated. yay!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas

I pretty much chalk this up to random chance. http://water.usgs.gov/edu/dowsing.html

9. Hawk12

Hawk12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2015
    Hayden, ID
    Incubating sure helps. At least I can raise babies of some kind. My oldest is a freshman in college (dropping her off was the hardest thing I've done) and my youngest is a sophomore in hs. I miss them as babies :(

1 person likes this.
  10. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    I'll have to try that. I don't mind it being off a degree or two... as long as I know how much it's off. Thanks for the tip!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by