INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So do I. I have only ever raised under a broody, so I am currently experimenting. I have a friend who lost all of his chickens over the course of three months, he had six, last one killed yesterday. Whatever it was kept digging holes under the ground and up into the coop run, killing one at a time. He wants to buy 6 chicks, another friend of mine has an older coop she got and wants 2 chicks to start. Gonna find homes for the ones I don't need, and homes for some of my laying hens that I have too many of.

I just started all this when on mother's day I decided on the way home from work. Baby ducks would be a wonderful mother's day gift.....I was right..so I've been steadily learning...the fact that where I live it gets around 30 below on the winter..makes it challenging....so as long as I can keep my ducks happy and healthy through the winter I want to hatch some eggs in the spring. To keep predators from digging under I have 1/2 inch square wire on the floor covered with straw.

Skipping ahead to say we have a blonde chick!
wee.gif

Time of birth: 9:12 pm! lol

The other pips:

Red circle was the first, I sent that pic to hubby to show him. Second pip is #3. Pip #2 is the blonde chick. There might be another pip, but its along one of my sharpie marks so I can't tell if it is part of the sharpie, a pencil mark, or a crack.

And Blondie is crying up a storm in that bator...

Hey all well when it rains it pours. No news from my family on Grandpa yet today, but last night went much much better than we thought it would. Considering he was sun downing and yelling and quite aggravated before getting to the Manor... St. Elizabeth Manor in Footville. Anyway it seems quite a wonderful place and very peaceful and calm. Unfortunately all of the other people in the Alzheimer's area are worse off than Grandpa, but he will be taken out for activities to the assisted living part. Upon entering the building in the assisted living part before walking to the Alzheimer's wing(which only houses about 8 people I blieve) Grandpa entered and with as much fanfare as could be announced, "Ladies and Gentlemen!", with a waving of his arms. Lol we had set up his room with trinkets and his furniture and he seemed very much at peace last night. He even knew everyone's names of the family that was there. I can only say that must be a God thing and I feel safe knowing the nuns there and the staff will care for him the way he deserves. They even made sure all of us got dinner and I'm very grateful to them. Only time will tell how he will adjust so continued prayers for that would be appreciated. Thank you guys.

Now the reason I said when it rains it pours, my sheltie, Molly has gone quite lame overnight. She has been mildly sore which I thought was from our great dane, Bella, accidentally rolling her and stepping on her while they were playing. I now believe it is Lyme's disease as three weeks ago she had a tick on her belly. Idk what the vet will say, she has an appointment at 5 but I feel certain it is Lyme's disease. Shelties like some other breeds are at an increased risk for kidney problems due to Lyme's disease. If you would also pray for my Molly please for a swift and full recovery I would appreciate it. I will let you all know what the vet says after the appointment.

Idk how much more I can take this seems to be the year that just keeps kicking my butt. I already lost my 15 year old kitty, we've had every problem imaginable with the chickens, we went with to put my Grandma's sheltie, Lassie, down as she had cancer(We had lived with and helped care for her for 3+ years), we had freak accidents with a couple of the chickens, and Grandpa and now Molly.

I am so happy it went well with him!!!!  That is the same way it went with my aunt! she was thrilled with all the attention and I swear it stimulated her enough to keep her with us and it was actually so much easier that we expected! :hugs I am so sorry about your girl, I have been told many stories of this from pup parents when they come to me for pups. I also know that they can treat it fairly quickly in some cases, so I will pray that your girl is one with a very fast recovery!

you candlin addict you! :smack :lau

Okay so here's the update on Grandpa and Molly...
I spoke to my Mom who was with Grandpa today and she says that Grandpa loves it so far but seems anxious about Mom and Grandma leaving. Will keep you all updated on that. Thank you for your continued prayers. Also tomorrow they're having a big Christmas party so we're going over and spending time there with him for that, so I'll be able to give you some of my own insights since I tend to read Grandpa better than anyone except maybe my Mom.

Now as far as Molly goes... Yes she has Lyme disease. The vet thinks we caught it really quick which is great but I'm still reserved about hoping for a great outcome since my Grandma's(same Grandma) sheltie had it and it crippled her for life. In the end it even changed her personality as well we believe, but that could have been the cancer if it had metastasized to her brain. The results spot on the test was much much lighter than the control, and considering the tick was only found maybe three weeks ago we are lucky to have gotten it early.

*****Note: For anyone with dogs that could be exposed to Lyme's disease Molly was on flea and tick meds, they're not 100% effective. Also when I discovered the tick she had a small circular raised area around it that looked a bit like a bullseye, which I assumed was just inflammation from where the ticks legs were, I now know I was wrong it was probably a Lyme's disease rash also called a tick rash you can Google it. They're supposed to be rare in dogs, but Molly had it and I didn't know what it was as it is prevalent only in people and I'm kicking myself now. If you find a tick and see something like I've described or like the pictures show please ask your vet what they think. We don't live near a wooded area or long grass like my Grandma's dog was.

I'm just grateful Molly is now being treated with antibiotics and pain meds. Thankfully other than being in pain and having a slightly elevated temp she is a trooper and in great spirits. Although she will not attempt to go up stairs. We even went to Arby's with her(drive through of course) and when I jokingly asked for a dog treat they gave me a little container of roast beef just for her. She's gunna be nice and share with her sissy, Bella, though. I don't know if that's a common practice for Arby's, but I just have to tell people because I think that was great, so did Molly. Again thank you all very much for your continued prayers for both Molly and Grandpa.

Last edited:
Skipping ahead to say we have a blonde chick!
wee.gif

Time of birth: 9:12 pm! lol

The other pips:

Red circle was the first, I sent that pic to hubby to show him. Second pip is #3. Pip #2 is the blonde chick. There might be another pip, but its along one of my sharpie marks so I can't tell if it is part of the sharpie, a pencil mark, or a crack.

And Blondie is crying up a storm in that bator...

Awesome. we are hatching together.Here's wishing both of us have a great hatch.

2 chicks, 1 broken egg, 7 gone bad and 1 chick dead in the shell - under a broody hen. should I use muscovie ducks to hatch chicken's eggs? anyone has experience with this? can the scovies raise chickens for at least a month? would they cover them at night?

2 chicks, 1 broken egg, 7 gone bad and 1 chick dead in the shell - under a broody hen. should I use muscovie ducks to hatch chicken's eggs? anyone has experience with this? can the scovies raise chickens for at least a month? would they cover them at night?

From everything I've heard, it is not a good idea to use ducks for hatching chicken eggs... chickens for duck eggs, ok, but not the other way around... maybe someone else knows different?? But I think ducks get the eggs too wet for chickens to do well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom