INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So sorry to hear about your loss, @nuklee0
 . I hope you get some of your chicks. I'm really glad you asked the question, actually, because I'm doing the same thing. I have three silkie eggs at day 9 and had to throw NINE out because of infertility. :| Other half went and bought some cemani eggs. I can't leave them sitting there till this hatch is over, so I'm going to have to stagger too. As these hatch, the cemani's should be at day 11/12 so I'm going to have be really careful with air sacs. :|

Thanks @Sally Sunshine
 for the advice!

If those cemani eggs were spendy you may want to consider buying or making a second incubator/hatcher. If not, at least separate the eggs so the silkie chicks don't walk all over and poop on the other eggs. That's a lot of time for bacteria to grow. Does anyone think the incubator would need to be cleaned between hatches too?

Cynthia12 invited me over to this tread. I'm pretty new to chickens. This will be only my second time incubating. I was going to wait until spring when hopefully my quail or Cream Legbars are laying but I won 12 Bielefelder eggs on eBay today. So I'm going to try this hatching thing again. I do have a small brooder coop and run. And also a Barn so hopefully I can keep the chicks that hatch warm through the cold months. I've chosen Cream Legars and Bielefelders to breed. I like the idea of auto sexing at birth. But I'm still pretty new so I may change my mind later.

Cynthia12 invited me over to this tread. I'm pretty new to chickens. This will be only my second time incubating. I was going to wait until spring when hopefully my quail or Cream Legbars are laying but I won 12 Bielefelder eggs on eBay today. So I'm going to try this hatching thing again. I do have a small brooder coop and run. And also a Barn so hopefully I can keep the chicks that hatch warm through the cold months. I've chosen Cream Legars and Bielefelders to breed. I like the idea of auto sexing at birth. But I'm still pretty new so I may change my mind later.
frow.gif
Howdy. Glad you found us. Good bunch of friendly, knowledgeable folks on here.

So I will post over here since the other thread moves so fast about so many other topics...

I am doing another batch of eggs after the "Halloween" hatch, but this time my husband is in charge of it. Because he's read so much and thinks he knows it all. We received 12 "Araucana" eggs (once again, my doubt they are pure because ebay). Most of them had detached air cells. Anyways, so he's controlling the humidity, and he wants it up between 45 & 50% the entire incubation. So I sanitized and set up the bator again, and away we go! We did the 7 day candle last night and 6 of the 12 were clear (no blood ring even) but all 6 that were developing look really good! Air cells look pretty decent right now too, we'll see how they look on day 10/14. Of course I had to use a sharpie to mark the air cells because our pencil went MIA, and he nearly had a fit about it "are you sure it's not going to kill them?!"... I had to show him the post about the sharpie and expo marker that hatched just fine for him to believe me!

ETA: I'm letting my husband do everything in regards to humidity, even if he's wrong. This is his show, I'm just candling/marking them. Even though I personally think the humidity is a bit high. He knows my opinion on that subject.

Last edited:
So I will post over here since the other thread moves so fast about so many other topics...

I am doing another batch of eggs after the "Halloween" hatch, but this time my husband is in charge of it. Because he's read so much and thinks he knows it all. We received 12 "Araucana" eggs (once again, my doubt they are pure because ebay). Most of them had detached air cells. Anyways, so he's controlling the humidity, and he wants it up between 45 & 50% the entire incubation. So I sanitized and set up the bator again, and away we go! We did the 7 day candle last night and 6 of the 12 were clear (no blood ring even) but all 6 that were developing look really good! Air cells look pretty decent right now too, we'll see how they look on day 10/14. Of course I had to use a sharpie to mark the air cells because our pencil went MIA, and he nearly had a fit about it "are you sure it's not going to kill them?!"... I had to show him the post about the sharpie and expo marker that hatched just fine for him to believe me!

ETA: I'm letting my husband do everything in regards to humidity, even if he's wrong. This is his show, I'm just candling/marking them. Even though I personally think the humidity is a bit high. He knows my opinion on that subject.

he is a stinker is he fireD!!!
lau.gif
and air cells look good at that humidity? carry on then! its all about air cells, not the % I dont want you to mess with air cells, but when you candle gentle again at day 10 and mark, can we see the egg pic and air cells marks just to see where your at? Only because you and I both know that is high humidity HOWEVER, depending on age of eggs, packing material could have sucked moisture out too, like newspapers and so forth, I never did start that conversation on shipping eggs or how to request them yet. I will at some point. Maybe I will throw some stuff in an article first and copy past for discussion here then add stuff to the article.

I am glad you showed him the sharpie thread
gig.gif
anyone else wants to see it here it is..... the age old question Can you write on a hatchin egg with sharpie. answer is yes with proof

I'm sure you'll be as welcome here as you were "over there". In fact, you'll find many of the same folks on both threads; a lot of us jump back & forth, just like I'm doing right now. At times, one thread can be hopping while there's really nothing much happening on the other, so we'll just cruise around.

I'm glad to see that Hubby's taking an active part in the chicken proceedings. Better keep an eye on him, though; remember, men aren't famous for asking for directions
smile.png

Good Luck on the hatch
fl.gif

My neighbors broody quit so she stuck two eggs in my Bator. They are around day 14 right now. How ccan I tell if they are still alive? They were cool to touch when she brought them over.

Last edited:
My neighbors broody quit so she stuck two eggs in my Bator. They are around day 14 right now. How ccan I tell if they are still alive? They were cool to touch when she brought them over.

I'd let them get up to temperature in the incubator, give them a couple of hours, then candle them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom