1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fire370

fire370 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2015
    SC Kansas

Yes we have bulk tanks and no tax diesel. Hauling diesel isn't bad but I don't care for it. Lol. Just pump it off the 110 gal transfer tank in the truck. Each generator holds about 55 gals and they burn about 1-2 gal an hour each depending on load. At least we get a day or two out of a tank.

2. Jessimom

Jessimom Cats Rule Dogs Drool

Aug 21, 2009
    Southern California

I live in the city. In a valley. It's HOT here. It's heat that usually kills our power - too much drain on the electric company. I've been in my current house for 4 years and I don't think we've lost power for more than 5 minutes once or twice. My old house, one summer we were losing power for hours at a time. Once it was for 18 hours. So we bought a small gas powered generator. The kind you start like a lawnmower. We took turns powering our fridges and our neighbors stuff. But even during situations like this, our city bans running generators after 10 pm. If anyone complains, it's a steep fine.

During the big earthquake almost 22 years ago - they got our power back quickly, I was surprised. Our fridge emptied during the quake, so there wasn't much to keep cool.

I hope your power comes back on soon, and that the weather doesn't get too severe.

3. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Good suggestion, but where would one put it? I've also considered getting fans with a higher CFM rating, but finding them in the right form factor is tricky. -Kathy

4. kwhites634

kwhites634 Father Time Premium Member

When I was but a sprout visiting Grandpa's Illinois farm as a town kid from the East, I was taken by his tank with the glass bubble on top with the logo painted on it...Texaco, as I remember. I assume there was an in-ground tank below it. Never knew him to go to a gas station.

5. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Who else here has the RCOM?

-Kathy

6. fire370

fire370 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2015
    SC Kansas

Ours are above ground.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  7. shahtir101

shahtir101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    I have an rcom. The kingsuro max 20. It came with a humidity pump that I removed for my second hatch, much easier without it. I like mine,but hate the viewing window. It like magnify a everything.

8. CrazyChickLady7

CrazyChickLady7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    3 chicks so far. No more pips. Hopefully they will stop their silly lets hatch one every night and just start popping.

9. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    My Brinsea is being difficult and not turning some of the eggs again -_- I told the people eggsitting to just keep adjusting them till they turn, but it's really frustrating! You'd think for the $$$ it would do better :/

10. shahtir101

shahtir101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2015
    That is very frustrating. Those incubators aren't cheap either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by