INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 8 lb/gal I think even this old man can handle it. If not, I'm going to have to start buying feed in 5lb bags instead of 50's.
I believe I saw that it fills through a bung in the bottom? Ever had the water pressure blow it out, or is it threaded?
I've perfected the art of quickly flipping similar containers w/o getting soaked...most of the time, so that's not a problem, either.
thumbsup.gif
The 3 gallon one in question is definitely a flawed design. I was given two with a huge food order. The bottom plug isn't the problem. It stays in well. The biggest problem, in addition to it needing to be perfectly level is that the tabs holding top and bottom together are too short and narrow. The torque from turning it over will open it up. I've had 3 gallons go down my shoes on multiple occasions at 0F.
I only use them in emergencies.
On the plus side, as long as power is maintained they work well (if they don't come apart). I had one hanging in a tree all winter once and it never failed. On the other hand, if you lose power, and the water tray freezes, it doesn't get warm enough to thaw the water in the ring once frozen.

I do like it for roosters though so they can't dip their wattles in the water. If using something like a heated dog dish, the roosters get their wattles frozen.

frow.gif
everytime I moved a broody too far she stopped brooding. wait until after is my suggestion! if you have to put a quick ring of wire around her, she should protect the chicks later on.

Move them at night into a nest set up just like the other. You can move them as far as you want. I heat some fake eggs for the new nest so she thinks I picked her up and set her back down. After she's comfortable, I swap the eggs.
I once moved a hen from a pine shaving nest to a plastic nest pad and she stopped immediately.

Should I reunite foghorn or leave him inside a few more days??
I would give him a bit more time just in case BJ unless he has been a big issue inside?

Quote: Thanks paddler....

which kind do you have? note the bottom designs

this one is junk, water level is way too high..

'

this one I dont have an issue with, I have three of them

19749_A.jpg

HEY whites this is the bad one I think, but design is the same basically

0.jpg

Last edited:
The 3 gallon one in question is definitely a flawed design. I was given two with a huge food order. The bottom plug isn't the problem. It stays in well. The biggest problem, in addition to it needing to be perfectly level is that the tabs holding top and bottom together are too short and narrow. The torque from turning it over will open it up. I've had 3 gallons go down my shoes on multiple occasions at 0F.
I only use them in emergencies.
On the plus side, as long as power is maintained they work well (if they don't come apart). I had one hanging in a tree all winter once and it never failed. On the other hand, if you lose power, and the water tray freezes, it doesn't get warm enough to thaw the water in the ring once frozen.

I do like it for roosters though so they can't dip their wattles in the water. If using something like a heated dog dish, the roosters get their wattles frozen.

Move them at night into a nest set up just like the other. You can move them as far as you want. I heat some fake eggs for the new nest so she thinks I picked her up and set her back down. After she's comfortable, I swap the eggs.
I once moved a hen from a pine shaving nest to a plastic nest pad and she stopped immediately.
Thanks CC...I believe I've changed my mind, though. I was in the midst of ordering one...got to checkout & discovered the shipping costs added approximately 50% to the purchase price! For $60 I'll keep stomping the ice out of the rubber feed pans I've always used.

Last edited:
One of my chicks turned out to be a frizzle (my favorite one)! And I think one might be silkied. Does anyone have pictures of silkied Seramas as chicks?

Here ya go. The black one is 25 days old. The others are 6 days old. You can see where their wing and tail feathers start opening, they are hairy like paint brushes on the ends instead of feather shaped...

What about the flap of skin on the top part of his head?  It is laying down in the picture but I can pick it up and see his muscles, or whatever is under there :)
I would clean it out well, apply some antibiotic cream and just wrap it so the opening it pressed closed for the most part& keep it clean and it should heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom