INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice. I actually only have the natural stuff. Someone I work with barters with me, I give him a laying hen now and then and he gives me honey :) He raises honey bees...once you've had the real stuff you won't ever go back to store bought. I will try that tonight when I clean his wound.

@RavynFallen Not hard to keep up now, is it?
tongue.png

Good afternoon all. Have a couple of questions about calibrating thermometers and accuracy.

I just hatched 5 out of 7 of my own eggs in a Brinsea Mini Advanced using their preset thermometer @ 99.6 deg. Because the eggs were quite large I was planning on using a Hova Bator still air as a separate hatcher. Set it up a couple of days in advance to make sure it was going to be up to temp. Have multiple thermometers and calibrated 2 with the ice slurry test. One of them (small black Avian Web in center) did take forever to reach 32.2 deg. I put 5 different thermos in the Hova to be on the safe side. I could never get a reading over 97.6 deg on the Avian Web that I calibrated. Or on anything else that was in there. So I decided to go ahead & use the Brinsea instead.

After taking the turner out on day 18 I was able to get the small Avian Web thermo/hygro inside. The max temp it would give me was 94.10. I was sure I had killed all my babies. They were all candled and weighed on correct days and I could see movement in the 3 light ones and veining on the blues.

FFWD to day 21, 2 hours in. I had the 1st pip. I thought I had heard faint cheeping earlier in the day but thought I was imagining it. An hour later another pipped. And they both hatched overnight. No sticky or shrink wrapped chicks. Heard more cheeping. And then an external pip. Ended up 3 more chicks hatched into Day 22. No sticky or shrink wrap. Perfect fluffed up babies.

My question is this, if the reading of the calibrated thermo was really 94.1 would anything have hatched at all? Or delayed by days? If this same thermo was reading 97 in the Hova, and I put them in there to hatch would they have been cooked?

I am going to recalibrate everything and I think I will put some of the digital ones outside in a Ziploc on Thurs when I know it will be below freezing. This has made me super paranoid about the accuracy of any thermometer. I have ordered a Boveda humidity test kit to calibrate the Caliber IV as it can be reset to correct RH.

Any thoughts on accurate brand as some of these were not cheap.

Thanks Kaycey

Good afternoon all. Have a couple of questions about calibrating thermometers and accuracy.

I just hatched 5 out of 7 of my own eggs in a Brinsea Mini Advanced using their preset thermometer @ 99.6 deg. Because the eggs were quite large I was planning on using a Hova Bator still air as a separate hatcher. Set it up a couple of days in advance to make sure it was going to be up to temp. Have multiple thermometers and calibrated 2 with the ice slurry test. One of them (small black Avian Web in center) did take forever to reach 32.2 deg. I put 5 different thermos in the Hova to be on the safe side. I could never get a reading over 97.6 deg on the Avian Web that I calibrated. Or on anything else that was in there. So I decided to go ahead & use the Brinsea instead.

After taking the turner out on day 18 I was able to get the small Avian Web thermo/hygro inside. The max temp it would give me was 94.10. I was sure I had killed all my babies. They were all candled and weighed on correct days and I could see movement in the 3 light ones and veining on the blues.

FFWD to day 21, 2 hours in. I had the 1st pip. I thought I had heard faint cheeping earlier in the day but thought I was imagining it. An hour later another pipped. And they both hatched overnight. No sticky or shrink wrapped chicks. Heard more cheeping. And then an external pip. Ended up 3 more chicks hatched into Day 22. No sticky or shrink wrap. Perfect fluffed up babies.

My question is this, if the reading of the calibrated thermo was really 94.1 would anything have hatched at all? Or delayed by days? If this same thermo was reading 97 in the Hova, and I put them in there to hatch would they have been cooked?

I am going to recalibrate everything and I think I will put some of the digital ones outside in a Ziploc on Thurs when I know it will be below freezing. This has made me super paranoid about the accuracy of any thermometer. I have ordered a Boveda humidity test kit to calibrate the Caliber IV as it can be reset to correct RH.

Any thoughts on accurate brand as some of these were not cheap.

Thanks Kaycey
@Sally Sunshine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom