1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    most times when they do their internal pip they will do a bunch of chirping and then rest rest rest and then just before the gain strength to pip they may do it again, and then again when its zip time!

its all good its all good!

1 person likes this.
  2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Congrats CH!

3. fire370

fire370 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2015
    SC Kansas
    I

I was just on incubator warehouses website this morning ordering another controller to replace the one that had the glitch earlier this week and I see that their fan/heater kits are now plug and play with the controller. This will make it simple easy for people who don't care for electricity.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    Got 6 eggs from my 6 comet girls this morning. Man I love those girls. Some of those will go in the bator Tuesday with the duck eggs.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Ur-ur-ur-urrr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    I've been seriously considering the IncuKit XL with the IncuStat Advanced thermostat for my next incubator. It looks like an easy build for a large incubator. It's the same thermostat that's on my IncuVeiw...

7. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    Good to know. My fan died. I have a couple more fans to rewire before I have to buy one. I don't mind wiring things, but plug and play takes less time to get going. If my Brabanters ever get back to laying I'm going to set a couple eggs to see what happens.I don't know if they'll lay again until spring though. They've had a rough couple months.

8. fire370

fire370 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2015
    SC Kansas

I have 8 of their thermostats and have been very pleased. I have one cabinet that has their fan/heater combos in it and if/when I build another, I will put them in it too . I've always built the cabinets with light bulbs and a bathroom exhaust fan in the top sealed compartment. When I saw the plug and play setup this morning I thought, holy cow that is slick.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Beautiful colors!
    I'm gonna do a build with a dorm sized fridge. What would you recommend for wattage with 2 light bulbs in that size? And would you use several computer fans, or step up to a larger sized fan? If you have time to respond, great, or if you have any resources to direct me to that's great too. Gonna try to rig a non-electric turner, either with eggs in trays tilted up and down 45* or on a roller frame, rolling left to right.

If your bator has a fan, you might want to bump the temp down a degree. I try to keep humidity above 65% for hatch.

Babies gotta nap, so there will be little bursts of action followed by hours of NOTHING. You'll be convinced they have all died, then there will be an other little burst of activity. The best thing you can do is leave that bator alone. Look but don't touch.

My roo will sing the egg song. Sometimes a startle alarm sounds like an egg song. They'll also sing similar as a "I'm here, where are you?" call. My roo will also make little nests here there and everywhere, and try to lure the girls into his nest. He's quite pre-occupied with the whole reproduction/parenting role!

1 person likes this.
  10. chicken hawk 33

chicken hawk 33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2015
    I just heard atlleast three different pipping sounds just now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by