INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serama egg
perty,very small.I will be getting serama,Silkie,and Turken eggs.to set in my new fixed up bator

Last edited:
I have an old picture from when we first got our BSL. At the time, we only had a d'Uccle, Dominique, the two Sex Links, Columbian Wyandotte, and a Holland.
I really like all of those breeds. Especially the d'uccles. I have my favorite roo and my favorite pullet together. I had to downsize
1f614.png

This is a post that I have written in the past, I think you will find it relevant :
Marek's disease is caused by virus from the Herpes viruses family. And like Herpes Simplex-1 in humans, it's very common and I would estimated and say that there is no place and no floc of chickens that isn't affected by this virus. The epidemiology of the virus and especial the strand that infect the skein and the feathers follicles, shoes that this virus spreads billions of viruses every day and they can travel over 60 miles on winds. So its virtually impossible do avoid the exposer to this virus. So what to do? The best thing that you can do is cut down the level of stress in your floc as much as you can! Stress causes the excretion of stress hormones, like Cortisol, in the chicken, and they reduce the efficiency of the immune system, which causes the eruption of diseases like Marek. Some tips for stress free floc:
1. Reduce the changes in the floc to minimum,if you can prefer the method of "all in all out" it for the best.
2. Reduce the changes of cops and habitat.
3. Keep away from the floc pets especially dogs.
4. Keep away from the floc little children that chase the chickens.
5. Give your chicken the best balanced food you can buy.
6.Provide them a good supply of vegetables and fruits.
7. Provide them a constant unlimited supply of fresh water.
8. Give them a good shelter from the elements.
9. Keep them happy!
Good luck!
Akarnf(the Rhinoceros)
Thank you- with all due respect, the checklist you listed is all checked. In the end, I think I, like many, will think twice before trusting a "breeder" and bring in any birds. They get fresh water with vet RX twice a week, red cell, twice a week, a little ACV and always poly vi sol without iron... We are in CA so our weather is mild. They're free ranging daily and get a piñata of Swiss chard leaves, mizuno, a green apple and carrots. Their treats are never people food- only vegetables and fruits with flax meal sprinkles on them with kelp powder...true Hollywood treatment.

What I really need to know is how far do I take cleaning and disinfecting? I'm cleaning the tray, roosters and boxes...changing out what shavings I can, but their yard is bark pieces and dirt. Do I need to discard the 200 square feet of that?
1f614.png

Sorry to say, but once you have it is almost impossible to get reed of it! No cure, the one that survived will stay as carrier that infect any new chickens, the virus can stay in the are fir years! You cant disinfect everything! What should you do:
0. You should cull any infected bird.
1. You should practice a restrict biosecurity policy.
2. You should, if you can, practice the method if " all in all out" when you change your flock. Do you know the basics of an effective quarantine? ( the rule of "40:40"?)
3. You should vaccinate your new chicks.
4. There is breed that are naturally mor resistant to MD like the Fayoumi, you can choose them.
See this link:
http://www.jarvm.com/articles/Vol4Iss2/Duguma.pdf
5. You should raise,if you can one turkey with your chicken, the turkeys have a virus
Related to the MDV that don't infect chickens but do make a cross vaccination to MDV in chickens( it is the virus that his used in the vaccination!)

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom