INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saris

Saris Songster

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane
    Seems pretty clever, I would be worried that it might be a bit flimsy once filled with eggs though. ( I never like the foam egg cartons) do you have any eggs to put in it to see how it handles the weight? Why rocks and not sponges? To keep it from tipping?

2. slrose24

slrose24 In the Brooder

Aug 16, 2015
    the eggs are to keep it stable once the eggs are in it....also, i figured if i kept them in there through the hatch, this would keep the water from being deep enough to drown a chick..... i know the incubator has wells, but this seems easier to alter without disturbing the eggs.

when on lock down would one keep the eggs tilts or place them flat up and down or on there sides? before this i had my eggs like they would lay in the nest the whole time and im not sure what action i should take when i reach lockdown if using this meythod

3. TJChickens

TJChickens Songster

Mar 3, 2014
    East of San Diego
    Subscribing [​IMG]

4. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

Just to be on the safe side, I'd fire the incubator up now & just let it cook til you're ready to fill it; sometimes those controls can be finicky, even when they haven't been touched since the last hatch. Nothing to lose but a couple day's electric.

1 person likes this.
  5. hippiestink

hippiestink Songster

And now I'm joining up over here! Nice to have a whole bunch of information in one place.

6. kwhites634

kwhites634 Slow hands & an easy touch

WOW! Talk about culture shock...Belgium to Texas! [​IMG]

I guess I got that backward...Welcome, anyway

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  7. Lamancha

Lamancha Songster

Dec 13, 2014
    Oregon
    I'm gonna get in a lot of trouble subscribing here. There will be chicks and eggs everywhere. Like a HAL that never ends! Yeah

8. Saris

Saris Songster

Apr 16, 2015
    Spokane

During lockdown they should be placed on their side with the largest segment of the aircell up I think. I'm doing my first hatch, so I could be remembering what I read wrong.

I was gonna say that too. I ran mine for 4 days trying to figure everything out. Though I was using my own eggs so I didn't have to wait on shipped eggs.

9. slrose24

slrose24 In the Brooder

Aug 16, 2015
    that sounds like a good plan! also doesnt hurt to fire it up now i suppose...that way i can test my new water holder. ha byw it turns out only one of the lids will fit, which means the other will be my backup. i will just sawp the trays to opposite sides of the lid

10. kguinness76

kguinness76 Just the Chicks

Mar 7, 2015
    Douglas, MA
    So glad you opened this, was getting a bit sad that the Halloween Hatchbwas over. Such amazing people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: