1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I check them after I pull all the chicks, If candle shows no internals I toss. I dont even look for life. I had one I left in this time because I had a serama in late that was found under a hen that was unknown date but tossed it then anyways.
    it takes a few hatches to pick up on this, also fine tuning your incubator and you skills at it [​IMG]

SWEET! birdies!! great photos too!! [​IMG]

2. WalnutHill

WalnutHill Overrun With Chickens

Mar 16, 2014
    SE Michigan
    Those are great photos. I will work on capturing some next year. I've never used my good camera on photos of my own birds.

3. lindalouly

lindalouly Grd Ctrl 2 Major Tom Premium Member

I am only on page 254 of this thread. It is very educational. I enjoy reading about everyone's adventures as they try to increase their flocks. My sons and I just made our first incubator. We are learning as we go. Its nice that we have someone from BYC that follows our charts and helps us to understand what we see when we candle and increase our knowledge through our first attempt. I am going to keep on reading and hopefully get caught up at some point so I can participate in conversation. Hatching 101 was super helpful. Read it twice and took notes before we started our hatch. On day ten, Not expecting miracles but am expecting a whole lot of knowledge.

4. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Yeah, good cameras make a lot of diffierence on the photo quality. Mine's a panasonic.

5. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Aww thanks! Photography's my specialty, I find it really relaxing to just go out there and take pictures. 950 of my chicken pics are bad, but the 10 others are good! I still haven't gotten "that shot" yet, but I'm getting there! :)

6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    Awesome pics of beautiful birds Bubbles!!

7. Bejammie

Bejammie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    Hey Dan how did u say u were sexing bcm day old chicks again?? :) :)

8. speney

speney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Well I forgot to say I'm from pa. I have three mutts left since the bear attack I think the rooster and hen are mixed with silkie and one that is a complete mystery to me she is my broody she is so broody I have to be careful with her and four chicks that hatched for me I would have more but I had to cull some and I a few died bc of the power outage since I wasn't at home and didn't know that it was out three died almost completely out and just got to cold. I also have orpingtons that chicychick from BYC gave me since I lost so many to the bear one rooster and three hens, two old english bantams that I also got from the chicken train a rooster and a hen I think the hen is a spangled bantam and last but not least my pekin duck pair. No one is laying right now but as soon as that Banty starts her eggs are going in the Bator next. And as soon as I get home I'll post picks. Oh and I almost forgot my 2 three month old chicks they will hopefully be olive Eggers but I'm not even sure if there hens lol ok I think that is it.

9. chicken hawk 33

chicken hawk 33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2015
    Hello,im back well my hatch was 75% i think i did good.i just got some new chickens three bantam hens and one full size will post picks later.

10. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Ur-ur-ur-urrr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    Way to go, chicken hawk!!!! It was pretty rough at hatch time, but you came through like a champ!!!

How are the chicks with the hurt legs? Did you get them bandaged up? How many chicks do you have now?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by