INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is finished with his hatch, no more fillin in. no more size 36 48 72

just 34
gig.gif
Yes, M'Lady (font 12).

16 is the limit
smack.gif

A little more blue
wink.png
Like this???

I 'pologise for the overload of pics; I can't resist!! the 2nd pic down has the 2 roos I hatched. I had to give them away, 'cause 4 roos was just too much!
sorry for the guinea pig pic; I can't resist, that's my favorite pic of her! (stella)

My two latest (assist chicks) are dry but not fluffy...it's like stuck to them. How to safely clean them??

Get a damp cloth, just wipe it down a bit for now. Believe it or not, it will fluff up pretty good with just a little wipe down. :) You assisted two? Good job!

Posting first, then going back to try to catch up!
I had a late hatcher from my incubation. I had to assist (twice!). I never figured he would make it. When he finally got out he couldn't stand, and his toes were extremely curled under. But he had the loudest and most persistent chirp, which is why I helped in the first place. It turns out he was malpositioned. Even after I removed the top part of the shell you couldn't see his head at all. I left him like that over night hoping he would push & get himself out. ( I had a warm moist towel wrapped around the shell for extra humidity.) No such luck, so in the morning I got him out. Man, was he a sad mess! Hours later he still couldn't stand & was not fluffing out. I figured I would give him a while but really held out no hope for him. I kept putting off the inevitable ( I HATE culling chicks), I was procrastinating figuring he would just pass on his own. He just kept laying on his side, chirping with gusto & one of his legs would twitch.

This morning when I got up, yep, he was still chirping! I went over to take a look & low and behold... He was standing & looking around alertly!!! Hubby wanted me to put some water in the bator so that he could drink. I said no I don't want the humidity back up. So I moved him to the brooder with the other chicks from his hatch.. He still looked a mess, he had shell membrane stuck on him ( I didn't want to try to get it off when he was trying to dry out & then I thought it wouldn't make a difference anyway). Yes, he was walking & running around on his curled under feet, it looked like he was walking on his knuckles (I don't even know if chickens have knuckles!) I wasn't sure what I would find when I got home from work.

Well, I got home 10 hours later & he is still doing fine! I took him out gave him a 100 degree bath to remove the membrane & junk. Dried him off real good (his feathers are finally fluffing!) gave him some poly sol vitamins and fashioned him some little shoes to at least straighten out his little toes ( now they are curved to the side, but at least they aren't curled under). I don't know if he'll make it to adulthood or not, but I didn't think he was going to make it to Monday morning!

In other news, the little white chick kicked off her shoe sometime today while I was at work, but her toes are staying straight!! The little hobbled chick (splay leg) can't get around at all. I gave him more poly sol vitamins ( he got some last night too) and put food within his reach. I also gave him water using an eyedropper (dripped it on the front of his beak & he would "gobble"(?) it down). None of the containers I had worked so I ended up band aiding his legs and then set him in a hole in a bunched up t-shirt.
How many days should I leave him hobbled? It seems like I remember it being 3 days?
I hope everyone else's hatches are going good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom