INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ren2014

Make sure you are counting your days right.  The day you set the eggs is not day one.  Day one is 24 hrs later. :fl for you.
[/quote]

I set them on the 16th so today would be the 22nd correct?

@Ren2014

Make sure you are counting your days right. The day you set the eggs is not day one. Day one is 24 hrs later.
fl.gif
for you.

I set them on the 16th so today would be the 22nd correct?[/QUOTE]

Correct. I have 8 on day 22 there were 10. One has hatched and one was Dead In Shell (DIS) I'm not seeing or hearing anything from my 8 either.

Some folks count the hours. I haven't done that yet but I do know I set mine very late in the evening so...
fl.gif

Last edited:
now now! lol I told you the links were in the article silly, but I read on and see you figured it all out. Glad they came in ok, HAVE you marked air cells since they came in? how do they look vs what I marked since I sent them?

if for a few your fine!

awwwwww
GOOOO chickiessss!!!!

ugggggggg again? is the adjustment on the bator that touchy?

sweetness!!! here come babies!!!

frow.gif
MORE BABIES TO COME RIGHT??? hahhahhahhahhaaa

@venymae
your flashlight cannot see into the air cells to see if air cells move or not? thats all you need to check? and then outline the air cells with a pencil, number then, write down their number on paper and if they are in good shape or if they have a loose air cell or any other noticable things about the egg.... and if the air cell rolls end to end of the egg trash them, because I said so, dont waste time on them.

This should have done when you unwrapped them! and then not candled again until day 7 sweetness!!! NOW CHANGE OF PLANS....... when did you set them your time zone..... and they are in a turner not turning correct? at what heat? and what of the serama they are in the little machine?

hey guten morgen lurkdommer!!
frow.gif
@perchie.girl
hugs.gif
Thank you and your very welcome!!! Wine coolers make awesome bators too! just a bit harder to work with but same end results! Glad your with us, you need help with the build let us know! Show us as you start your build, many are thinking about starting to build as well, so feel free to post you build to inspire!
thumbsup.gif

of course!!!! your right with a bunch with us on day 7! welcome!!! dont be nervous!!!
have you calibrated thermometers, and you know that humidity is not a set number its only used to get the proper weight loss in the egg?
how have your eggs arrived? air cells looking good?
what breeds have you purchased?
I have legbar and a few serama in together, never suggest doing this though.

oh here are some answers LOL
do you have a good candler?
I am using an LED flashlight, which is way better than what I was using....my phone....I have 3 thermometers and a hygrometer in there now. my last hatches I only had the one that came with the bator....bad idea but I'm still learning, this is only my third hatch, but I still got about 50% outta those, even though my new thermometers are telling me that the one that came with is off a few degrees. So far I'm having a much easier time though! I've been keeping my humidity between 35-45....some of those eggs had wonky air cells when I candled them when I got them...so I've got them in cut down egg cartons upright.

Thank you. Number two DIS
hit.gif
8 to on day 22
fl.gif

Thank you. Number two DIS
hit.gif
8 to on day 22

This is my second time to incubate. I didn't see rocking, rolling, shaking or pipping on the the first batch and I watched that bator like a hawk. All of a sudden there was a chick and then a second. This time around didn't see a thing and egg hatched. One I thought was pipped but DIS
sad.png
One rocked last night (day 21) but nothing today
barnie.gif
This can be really frustrating.
fl.gif
for you!

Thank you. One hatch, one DIS
hit.gif

Picture coming soon
smile.png

fl.gif
for you
smile.png
I'm giving up on shipped eggs for a while. I did have some Chocolate Orpington eggs on order but the breeder's hens slowed down in production and order was canceled. I'm really glad it was.

I haven't had one of those moments and hope I never do. They must be hard. Good luck
fl.gif

I can't even keep up and I'm just little ol me. I just don't see how you ever catch up
smile.png
You are awesome and so is everyone that can stay ahead
thumbsup.gif

Make sure you are counting your days right. The day you set the eggs is not day one. Day one is 24 hrs later.
fl.gif
for you.
Those moments are hard, I always feel horrible, I've had 2 previous hatches and had that happen once in each hatch.....so I decided to just leave them be......thanks for the luck, I've read a lot on shipped eggs and know my chances of all of those littles hatching is pretty slim... I figure if this one doesn't go well then I'm done with shipped but I wanted to try and I'm only out $25....I'll just wait till spring and get day olds from the hatchery, which I'm gonna do either way.....you know how that chicken math goes.....im only gonna have 10.....80 birds later......

I can't keep up but wanted to share a picture to illustrate why we calibrate. All the same brand. All read the same a month ago. All in the same conditions for the past week. All read different.

I also will be investing in a thermometer with tenths digits to compare to my thermostat.

Those moments are hard, I always feel horrible, I've had 2 previous hatches and had that happen once in each hatch.....so I decided to just leave them be......thanks for the luck, I've read a lot on shipped eggs and know my chances of all of those littles hatching is pretty slim... I figure if this one doesn't go well then I'm done with shipped but I wanted to try and I'm only out $25....I'll just wait till spring and get day olds from the hatchery, which I'm gonna do either way.....you know how that chicken math goes.....im only gonna have 10.....80 birds later......
$25 is not bad at all. 80 birds later, lol. My DH won't let me go that big but I will be ordering in the Spring as well.

I can't keep up but wanted to share a picture to illustrate why we calibrate. All the same brand. All read the same a month ago. All in the same conditions for the past week. All read different.
I also will be investing in a thermometer with tenths digits to compare to my thermostat.
Isn't that unreal. Do you take that average or rely on one or the other??

Tootie is beautiful!! Fingers crossed for your other eggs!!!
Thank you Thank you
smile.png

Correct.  I have 8 on day 22 there were 10.  One has hatched and one was Dead In Shell (DIS)  I'm not seeing or hearing anything from my 8 either. 

Some folks count the hours.  I haven't done that yet but I do know I set mine very late in the evening so...:fl

Mine were super active and noisy yesterday but have calmed down tremendously. I'm not hearing any chirping but they do rock when i talk to them still. I know day 22 for me will actually be closer to 4 today.

I'm wondering if I should candle and check for internal pipping or wait another day.

Fingers crossed for you and your fluffy butts! I'm only left with 3 eggs to make it to lockdown.

(C&P from Thanksgiving HAL)

Well... got 12 more eggs today.

Also ordered a second incubator for a hatcher since we will be having a staggered hatch.

But on a side note I am glad we got another dozen, candled real quick when I added some water last night (day 10) and 3 of the 6 that had started quit
hit.gif

Still frustrated that half of the first dozen were clear at the 7 day candle. I know these eggs had a rough ride because of the detached air cells. But still. I wanted a good hatch
sad.png

So batch #1 will be due 11/17
fl.gif

Batch #2 will be due 11/28.

And I may or may not have a 3rd dozen coming to me too...
hide.gif

I'm telling myself it is because my mother in law asked if she could keep a few after we move when our house is finished...
lau.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom