1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! come HATCH, LEARN, & Chat! w/hosts, Sally Sunshine & BantyChooks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sally Sunshine, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA
    @Ren2014

Make sure you are counting your days right.  The day you set the eggs is not day one.  Day one is 24 hrs later. :fl for you.
    [/quote]

I set them on the 16th so today would be the 22nd correct?

2. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    I set them on the 16th so today would be the 22nd correct?[/QUOTE]

Correct. I have 8 on day 22 there were 10. One has hatched and one was Dead In Shell (DIS) I'm not seeing or hearing anything from my 8 either.

Some folks count the hours. I haven't done that yet but I do know I set mine very late in the evening so...[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  3. Flockmama87

Flockmama87 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2015
    I am using an LED flashlight, which is way better than what I was using....my phone....I have 3 thermometers and a hygrometer in there now. my last hatches I only had the one that came with the bator....bad idea but I'm still learning, this is only my third hatch, but I still got about 50% outta those, even though my new thermometers are telling me that the one that came with is off a few degrees. So far I'm having a much easier time though! I've been keeping my humidity between 35-45....some of those eggs had wonky air cells when I candled them when I got them...so I've got them in cut down egg cartons upright.

4. Flockmama87

Flockmama87 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2015
    Those moments are hard, I always feel horrible, I've had 2 previous hatches and had that happen once in each hatch.....so I decided to just leave them be......thanks for the luck, I've read a lot on shipped eggs and know my chances of all of those littles hatching is pretty slim... I figure if this one doesn't go well then I'm done with shipped but I wanted to try and I'm only out $25....I'll just wait till spring and get day olds from the hatchery, which I'm gonna do either way.....you know how that chicken math goes.....im only gonna have 10.....80 birds later......

5. tao chick

tao chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    Herkimer County, NY
    I can't keep up but wanted to share a picture to illustrate why we calibrate. All the same brand. All read the same a month ago. All in the same conditions for the past week. All read different. [​IMG]
    I also will be investing in a thermometer with tenths digits to compare to my thermostat.

6. Laurel Meadows

Laurel Meadows Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Tootie is beautiful!! Fingers crossed for your other eggs!!!

7. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    $25 is not bad at all. 80 birds later, lol. My DH won't let me go that big but I will be ordering in the Spring as well.

Isn't that unreal. Do you take that average or rely on one or the other??

Thank you Thank you[​IMG]

8. ambe0487

ambe0487 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2015
    Urbandale, IA

Mine were super active and noisy yesterday but have calmed down tremendously. I'm not hearing any chirping but they do rock when i talk to them still. I know day 22 for me will actually be closer to 4 today.

I'm wondering if I should candle and check for internal pipping or wait another day.

Fingers crossed for you and your fluffy butts! I'm only left with 3 eggs to make it to lockdown.

9. firedragon1982

firedragon1982 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2015
    (C&P from Thanksgiving HAL)

Well... got 12 more eggs today.

Also ordered a second incubator for a hatcher since we will be having a staggered hatch.

But on a side note I am glad we got another dozen, candled real quick when I added some water last night (day 10) and 3 of the 6 that had started quit [​IMG]

Still frustrated that half of the first dozen were clear at the 7 day candle. I know these eggs had a rough ride because of the detached air cells. But still. I wanted a good hatch [​IMG]

So batch #1 will be due 11/17 [​IMG]

Batch #2 will be due 11/28.

And I may or may not have a 3rd dozen coming to me too...[​IMG]

I'm telling myself it is because my mother in law asked if she could keep a few after we move when our house is finished... [​IMG]

10. chicken hawk 33

chicken hawk 33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2015
    Is anyone from Louisiana

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by