INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
11 in the brooder, 12, 13, and 14 hatched in the last 30 minutes. 9 to go :D

:ya cute chixies!!! Adorable! :love

Just lost a chick to one of my hens. She had attacked him once but he survived and was healing up well, so I set him and his momma up in their own part of the coop separated by bird netting stapled around a wood frame. Apparently she ripped it off the frame somehow because by the time I heard the commotion she was on mommas nest and the chick was ripped to shreds off to the side. Pretty shaken up about it, he was our only chick from our broody.
I do hope you remove the killer hen from your flock. That wasn't just a I don't know what this is, so I'll eat it. It was a deliberate attack with intent to kill.

Very sorry to hear that :-( glad to hear that the other 2 have been ok. I appreciate you sharing that with us because it is important to consider that these things could happen despite our best efforts.
yep, I thought I had it all set up correctly, but I was wrong. Hopefully, this can prevent someone else from making the same mistakes. I still think the heating pad momma is a good idea & works, I just have to re-think some things so that they can still get out to eat & drink without any ill side effects.

@Sally Sunshine

The dad of all the chicks is half Cream Legbar half mystery. I guessed the boys based on comb size and color. And they all have other roostery qualities. Upright walks, thick legs, bright rust colored breast feathers, or the solid white shoulder, or dark rust shoulders.

Last edited:
You should Sally. I live east of Seattle. It's beautiful here.

Edit: Pictures of our woods...

Stunning!!!! I am waiting for mick to call me back.....
337462339620_DigiMedia_MickDodge_ForestFood_e_1920x1080_337493059861.jpg

Washington is the best!!!!!!
wink.png
gotta bunk ?

Totally agree! And I'm originally from California. Love it up here!! I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
thumbsup.gif

@Sally Sunshine

The dad of all the chicks is half Cream Legbar half mystery. I guessed the boys based on comb size and color. And they all have other roostery qualities. Upright walks, thick legs, bright rust colored breast feathers, or the solid white shoulder, or dark rust shoulders.
gotcha but that chest sorta screams pullet idk

ma puce your chicks are cute, and your having an amazing hatch, but you already know that duntcha?

It wouldn't surprise me . Forgot to put my phone on silent and of course! Mom calls at seven am . I'm whispering and she thinks something's wrong . I finally make her understand that I'm hunting. What does she do? Ask me what do I want for Christmas, what size pants I wear and then wants to talk . I don't know what I'd do without her. Love her to death.
Hahahahha this sounds just like my mum! She just doesn't know when to NOT talk. Lol

Washington is the best!!!!!!
Northern Idaho isn't too bad either
tongue.png

But it's not as warm as western Washington, and we get some pretty good winters here. I love the northwest corner of Oregon too, but jobs that pay as much as my husbands does are a bit hard to come by there, because technogeeks are a dime a dozen there.
idunno.gif

@Sally SunshineI think boy because it's getting rusty patches on the shoulder and he's black and orange instead of being dull like his similarly patterned hatchmate. She has really willow colored legs.

He's in the middle with his head hidden. The willow legged girl is covering his head.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom