1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating Waterfowl

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NaturalBeautyFarm, Apr 1, 2012.

1. NaturalBeautyFarm

NaturalBeautyFarm New Egg

Mar 31, 2010
    I've never had a good hatch with my duck or goose eggs, chickens I can hatch all day long and get 99%

I have several incubators, everything from the styro box, to homemade contraptions, to $400, fully automatic-turner, mister.

Tonight I was looking at something else totally unrelated and I came across this:

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/eggs/res19-opincubator.html

If I'm understanding it right waterfowl are set at 95 summer and 94 winter according to them, much lower than the 99.5 that I was shooting for.
    And.... they are talking about still-air, which I always thought was suppose to be a degree or two higher ie...101.5

Has anybody ever set duck eggs at a lower temp?
    I have them coming out of my ears right now, so I might try an experiment, but I hate to take an incubator out of service if its bound to fail.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by