Incubating with a slow cooker...

MommyMagpie

Songster
8 Years
Jul 29, 2011
Salem/Jarvisville, WV
I read about a BYCer who used an electric skillet to make an incubator, and I wondered if it would be worth a try to make an incubator from a slow cooker. I have never incubated eggs before so feel free to point and laugh at my craziness! I thought I'd put the idea out here to see what brainstorming results.

Put a thermometer in there and see what the temperature is. If it stays around 100 w/out varying too much, you might have hatched an idea!

Even on low a crockpot would be way too hot IMO

Crockpots only have 2 temp settings & a warm setting. Unless your warm is 100 you would be cooking your eggs.

give it to some electronics students and see if they can tweak it to go lower!

I wish incubators were cheaper... or that my hens had a broodiness 'on/off' switch

Even though, after looking up the temp settings in my slow cooker recipe book, I will still do a test with my cooker that has a removable crock. I plan to tie up some sand in a pantyhose, stick in a probe thermometer and set this on a heatsafe dish upturned in the cooker.....set it to low and see what happens.

if this is not workable, we are going to build a bator from one of the many plans here on BYC. We have everything but a thrmostat to make one from a styrofoam cooler, and enough wood to build one like that too.

Why yes, I do think I am addicted to chickens, why do you ask?
D.gif

I had a roast in when I started this thread, but I have cleaned up from that and begun the experiment. I took a pantyhose leg and stuffed it with bulgur wheat to make a place to stick my probe thermometer, and set this on a folded washcloth in the pot and turned it on low. I will check it when I get home from my second job later this evening and see what's up.

IF I can get the temp right my next step will be to get a hygrometer from the pet store and see if I can regulate humidity to the proper levels.

I might suggest if it's too hot sitting right on the bottom, try elevating off the bottom with a roasting rack or one of those wire racks (like you cool cookies on) or somesuch... the ceramic is going to get a lot hotter with direct contact than it might raised up a bit... (raise up what you put inside the pot, don't raise the pot off the heating part)

now if we could just get the chickies to eat these danged stink bugs...

Back
Top Bottom