Incubating with egg trays

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thomascook357, Nov 15, 2010.

1. thomascook357

thomascook357 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    Hello all I am a new comer and have read for hours but cant find the answer to my question so i shall ask. I am hatching Quail eggs and have the sportsman's egg trays that are stack able that I plan on putting inside my little giant egg incubator. from what i have found you are supposed to remove the eggs from these trays however is this necessary? I have more eggs to go in the bator than will fit if i have to remove them all and was going to build a large hatchery box eventually but do i need to build it for these eggs? I can post pictures of my setup later if that will make it more understandable. thank you for any input it is greatly appreciated

2. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    please do post a photo.
    how are you going to turn the eggs?

3. thomascook357

thomascook357 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The picture on the left shows the incubator in the turner i built this allows me to turn it to almost sixty degrees both ways so i plan on putting the eggs in the racks and then rotating them that way and then the picture on the right is water troughs that rotate to keep the humidity up it is holding at 50%humidity right now and the two thermometers are at the levels of the different racks of eggs the top rack is going to be slightly warmer so they will probably hatch a day before the others. through i mix up on a auction i ended up with two hundred plus A&M quail eggs. (i noticed you raise quail i love the little things this is my second batch first set sixty eggs and only three hatched) i just want to know without trying it with half my eggs if the eggs can stay in the upright position of the egg trays or if they have to be on their side ?

4. thomascook357

thomascook357 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    well i guess top and bottom are the photos not left and right sorry but i think you understand. Also do you have any tips on Quail ? I have read a TON and raised harder gamebirds like pheasants i was just curious if you had any super amazing tricks of the trade ha ha thanks a bunch

5. mstar926

mstar926 New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    I am hatching my eggs out of egg trays after reading many places that it was 'ok'. I am curious to hear the consensus on that as well.

6. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    There is a post that I read recently. You can just leave them in the egg carton all the way through the incubator process. I have been taking my out and lay flat on the mesh, but leave it alone next time around with less value egg to see how it turn out.

7. thomascook357

thomascook357 New Egg

Nov 14, 2010
    when you hatch them out of the trays are they stacked or single? my trays are coming later today just waiting on the mail lady to bring them SOOOOOOOO EXCITED [​IMG] i planned on stacking them though through the incubation and then laying them out for lock down but have too many haha i think i need to build a bigger incubator.

8. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    that looks good for a single tray setup. I dunno about stacking though since when they hatch they will need room to get out of the egg and move around.

9. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I hatch right out of the tray, have not had any problems in do so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by