Incubating Without Electricity???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HorizonSon, Nov 25, 2010.

1. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    I hope to move completely off-grid, sometime, in the future. Question is: other than using a broody hen, does anyone have experience with incubating eggs without a source of electricity? Or know of a reference/resource I could check out?
    thanks! [​IMG]

2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    armpits? [​IMG]

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:We were dicussing this on another forum and kinda thought the same thing. It would easiest to keep a constant temp there. Plenty of humidity too [​IMG]

4. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:We were dicussing this on another forum and kinda thought the same thing. It would easiest to keep a constant temp there. Plenty of humidity too [​IMG]

omg hahahaha

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

hens always have eggs stashed between their wings and their bodies......maybe they know somethin about it? [​IMG]

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada

hens always have eggs stashed between their wings and their bodies......maybe they know somethin about it? [​IMG]

lol, hens dont stink there like we do though [​IMG]

7. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    Quote:i was thinking the same thing [​IMG] if you are willing to do nothing for a month then it is a good option

8. coo coo cachoo

coo coo cachoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    seriously.
    if u use a metal stove pipe leading up and into a tall incubator with baffles. u can use a kerosene lantern under the stove pipe . and have multiple shelves with thermometers and place the eggs on the shelf with the closest temp. also if u use a bellows thermostat (old vw) that expand when they get hot u can attach a flap to the top of the incubator to help regulate the heat.

now if u want to try solar than we have allot of options.

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  10. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    Quote:you know they have 12 volt bulbs in 75 and 100 w and dc motors to use for turners so all you would need is a solor panel and 12 v battery and the sun could run your incubator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by