1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluck1, Jan 29, 2009.

1. cluck1

cluck1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    What is everyones opinion on the little giant incubator

2. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    Lot of great information via the "Search" function...I have an LG 9200 still air and am very pleased. I might add a fan to it for our next hatch...but, for the money, it fits our bill. [​IMG]

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I have two LG's and 1 hovabator - all still air and I prefer the LG's.

4. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    Have LG, hovabator, and home made, still use LG

5. cluck1

cluck1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    has anyone bought eggs from murray mcmurray hatchery? if so what was the hatch rate?

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    The LG's are a good place to begin. They work effectively, albeit they have some shortcomings. Some things I suggest to improve their performance are:

1. Dump the cheap bulb thermometers that come with the LG. Use a digital thermometer with remote probe and a water weasel to set up temperatures.

2. Use an auto turner. Otherwise, turn eggs manually through the windows without opening the top.

3. Insulate the LG with a bubble wrap jacket. Be mindful you don't cover the vents.

4. Do your incubating in the bottom of a little used closet, so the LG won't be subjected to room temperature variations and other disturbances during incubation.

5. Test run your LG for a week. Put a few soda bottles full of water inside, run it up to temperature and let it stabilise for DAYS before you set eggs in it.

6. Have your natal area ready, warm and stable by the end of the 2nd week. You don't want to have hatchlings and no proper place to put them.

7. Select your hatching eggs carefully. Weak progeny and poor selection practices are responsible for more incubation failures than most people realize. Use eggs from only vigorous, proven stock.

8. Avoid shipped eggs if you can. Shipping can be murder on the eggs, literally, and undermines all your best efforts to control the process. If you must ship eggs, ensure the seller packs properly, and sends only the freshest eggs. Buy shipped-eggs no later than mid Spring and arrange for personal pickup at the post office. That way they do not sit around in trucks and on hot porches.

9. Understand "Dry Incubation" techniques before you plug in your LG. There should be a sticky on the topic in the Hatching/Incubation sub forum. It is a must read.
    NOTE - I see the Dry Incubation information has been removed. Too bad; no good can come of that. E-mail me and I will send you a copy.

Successful hatching requires only a basic understanding of simple principles and good preparation. Do these things and you will have made a good start.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by