1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cimait, Dec 15, 2010.

1. cimait

cimait New Egg

Dec 10, 2010
    Hello all! I'm new to incubating, well I regulated my browner845 for about five days. I added eggs last night@ 8pm, the temperature on my thermometer dropped to about 98 deg. I let the warm up period happen, but temp read 97.9deg all day. I turned temp up but now I have a hot spot in incubator of 104deg. What should I do?

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    You are going to get alot of ops on this one.

Here's mine. I've had hatches where the temp went up to 100 -101 and it's no big deal. I've had fluctuations and it was no big deal. I would try to get it as close to 99.5 as you can if its a little higher no big deal.

As for the 104 turn it down and try to get it to between 99/5 and 100.5. Use a digital if you've got one. If you use more than one, what was recommended at the ALBC conference take an average of the two and go with that. A half point here or there won't hurt.

Learn the idiocincrisies of your incubator. Develop your own technique and go with that.

I didn't notice where you were from but altitude can affect an incubator as can the location in the house. I keep a thermometer on the wall in my office to monitor room temp. It should be in a room average 70=80 and steady at that. Low traffic area helps.

Wish you a successful hatch

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by