Incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jetskier506, Sep 29, 2011.

1. jetskier506

jetskier506 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    I've never let my eggs hatch. But I made an incubator. It stays between 98 and 102 but is normally 99. Humidity varies from 40-51. I turn one half turn 3x a day. The eggs are diff ages but all under a week old and I took them out of the pen on the same day. How do I handle lockdown and anything else I need to know?

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Seems all is well. Your temp and humidity I think are fine. That is the range where I keep my humidity until I go into lockdown. On day 18 stop turning and increase the humidity some. I put my humidity around 65% to 70% during lockdown.

3. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I made my first bator too. but now have little giants. you really need to keep it from 102s thats a bit too high. It does not matter when the eggs were laid ( as long as its no older than 9 or 10 days), as long as you kept them cool, not cold that put the eggs in stasis (fertile but not growing) when you put them all in the bator, they wil all grow about the same time. mark down somewhere the date you set them and in 18 days no more turning and crank up the humididty using sponges or whatever. I personally lower my temp to 97 degrees for lockdown. but not many do that on here. Good luck

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This is what I do to increase the humidity in my styrofoam incubators. Works well for me.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by