Incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TherryChicken, Sep 16, 2012.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Hi, I'm new, I am incubating ALOT of eggs right now, but NOT by an incubator. My incubator did NOT control it's temp and stayed at/or above 110.. So I am doing this by hand..
    I have the following breeds-
    BLR Wyandotte/BLR Wyandotte Brahma mix (Not sure wich JUST yet)
    Rhode Island Red Coronation Sussex mix
    Ameraucana
    Rhode Island Red
    Serama
    and the Swedish Flower Hen
    These are 5 different batches in 1 area (I keep track by callender and have them all numbered). The first batch should be hatching here by Tuesday, then the rest start about 2 days after each time..
    http://i1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii505/resannoah1/imagejpeg_3-1.jpg
    I do have a question, should I vaccinate my chicks? Or should I not and just put vitamens in their water?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm really confused, oh by the way welcome to BYC, what are you incubating in? I have never vaccinated any of my chicks, is there mereks in your?

3. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Thanks and I have gotten them from people who have had their flock NPIP tested.. So I'm guessing no? I have some warm clothing in a drawer, the eggs on them, then 2 heat lamps on them. The temp stays between 98-102. I've been doing this since my incubator went over 110 and it's working because the chicks are moving around in the eggs, so must be doing ok. Just have to do my best with it till I buy a NEW incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by