Incubation and broken egg

Bossmummy

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 27, 2010
Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have an egg that was dropped and cracked (quite badly) on day 10 of incubation. I sealed the cracks with candle wax, and, despite not holding out much hope, he seems to be doing well at day 18... Growing nicely, plenty of movement and a nice sized air sac. My question is, what do I do when we get to hatching time. Do I have to remove the wax before lock down, or do I leave it until he pips internally or externally? The majority of the wax is around the air cell area, and there is quite a lot (it was a big fall onto a very hard floor!) I don't think he'll be able to pip through it? Thanks.

Also....in regards to hatching times, I know that Campbell's hatch in 28 days, but does that timeline refer to internal pipping or external pipping and zipping? I have 3 others set in an incubator and we are currently day 25, in lockdown. Should I be expecting rocking and internal pipping within the next day or so, or not until day 28? (As you can probably tell, this is my first ever hatch!) lol. Thanks. :)

Ok, so I shouldn't attempt to remove the wax before hatch date.... Makes sense. I was concerned if I tried to remove it, I would end up removing shell too. Thank you. :) x

If you do not remove it you will have to check and see if it internally pips. If it does not externally pip where there is no wax then you will have to assist. It may not be able to pip thru wax. I had 2 eggs with problems. One was cracked all over but the shell was intact. I did nothing to it. The other had a whole in it the size of a quarter. I super glued another shell over the top of the whole. I had to assist super glue baby because the shell was hard. Personally I would not cover a cracked egg. Mine developed just fine cracked. Good luck

Oh, crikey! Wish I'd known that sooner, I would have left well alone, I just panicked and worried about bacteria getting in.... Did possibly the quickest google search in history, and the first thing that came up was "candle wax", ****! Thanks for the advice, I'll know better next time. (Not that I intend to drop any more, hopefully!) lol. :)

Back
Top Bottom