Incubation deformities?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WeBeCluckin, Aug 14, 2014.

1. WeBeCluckin

WeBeCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Spokane Wa
    Hi everyone! Kind of an odd question but can curly toes in chickens be caused by improper incubation? All but one of my BA chickens have curly toes. I bought them at 3 days post hatch from a private breeder who said she had troubles keeping the temp and humidity stable. I wouldn't think much of an unstable incubator other than maybe failed hatches but I remember reading somewhere that curly toes can be a problem with incubation. I know a vitamin B deficiency is usually the cause of curly toes and I would think that to be the problem except that I bought a variety of chicks from the feed store a couple days later and none of them have curly toes at present day. These birds are over a year old now and have been on the same diet of Nutrena brand feeds. They hadn't free ranged until this year either, long after the development of curly toes. Only one BA chick had curled toes at the time of purchase. Could it simply be hereditary? Ideas?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, crooked toes can be hereditary or due to vitamin deficienies. And you are also right that they can be due to incubation problems. Really high or low temperatures, or temperatures that fluctuate in an incubator often make chicks come out with crooked toes and other deformities. That is why maintaining a steady, proper temperature when incubating eggs is essential.

3. WeBeCluckin

WeBeCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Spokane Wa
    Thanks for responding. Leads me to believe it probably was from incubation then. Or hereditary. Guess I'll find out when I start hatching next spring if it's in the genes. That is, assuming I can hold a steady incubator!

4. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Definately incubation problems with the temperature on the incubator will cause curled toes. Once the chicks are an hour old if the curled toes haven't extended they are there permanently and the chick will be handicapped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by