Incubation Effort #28 Hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ThreeBoysChicks, Jan 31, 2009.

1. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    So I built my first Ms. Prissy bator and completed a test hatch.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=116049&p=1

Here is what went in yesterday, 1/30/2009. These are Welsummer and Delaware eggs from Will Marrow. His website is http://whitmorefarm.com/index.html . They should hatch February 19 or 20.
    [​IMG]

Here is the worst thing, I bought parts to build another incubator. Or maybe I will make it a hatcher. I am getting some BBS Orpingtons and some Barred Rock eggs from SpeckledHen. Plus a few from her chicken Meg.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh me oh my, that is the prettiest collection of eggs!!!

Let's see, why don't you get some blue ones now . . .

Oh sorry, did you want help NOT getting more eggs??? I guess you will have to go to another forum for that. Try a monster truck forum maybe. [​IMG]

Happy hatching! Sending good hatching vibes your way**********

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Interesting colors from those Wellies and Dellies!

4. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Start of Day #3. Been havining some issues with temperature fluctuation. Not sure if it is because there are 18 eggs (9 more than last time)?

When the temp at the end (farthest away from heat source) is at 99 degrees, down closer to the heat source is 102 - 104 degrees. I have the eggs as far away from heat as possible.

Have others with homemade baters had this issue? Then again, maybe it was like this with my test hatch, I just did not think to check. I have my thermostat in the middle which reads consistently 99 degrees. I think with that, I am leaving it alone.

5. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    End of Day #3 - Temperature seems to be holding steady now. Now waiting for day #7 to candle and check on things.

On another note, I built the second bator / hatcher. It is ready to go. I will take pictures and post in the next couple of days.

6. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    So while turning, I dropped one of the Delaware eggs. So there are 9 Welsummer and 8 Delaware eggs in the incubator. On day #5, I candled a couple and could definately see veins. I was not able to see much in the Welsummers , they are so dark. I think I will at least be able to see the dark chick in a few more days.

7. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    End of Day #12 Update
    1 Delaware gone - Dropped
    1 Delaware gone - Gave up, egg cloudy.

7 Delaware and 9 Welsummers all candled and looking good. They should hatch starting next Thursday 2/19/2009 and Friday 2/20/2009.

8. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    So on Day #18, 5 Delaware and 7 Welsummers went into the Hatcher.

I had dropped 1 Delaware. Several others were cloudy, don't think they really got started. The others, gave up at various points along the way.

9. ThreeBoysChicks

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Day #20 and one of the Delawares has hatched. I just received a phone call from my son who went to turn the eggs in the bator and noticed that one of the eggs in the hatcher has hatched. It is telling everyone else to hurry up.

I need to leave work and go home. Don't you think?? [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Congrats! My Dels are on Day 14 today. You should get that pkg tomorrow, Ed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by