CurrerBell

Hatching
Apr 16, 2020
Hello, everyone! I’ve started an experiment with some fertile eggs I received from a friend. I am not sure what breed of chicken they are, I have some brown ones, white ones and blue ones. They’re a barnyard mixture.
So, the eggs are in a styrofoam cooler. I have hand warmers in the bottom (max temp 135) and a layer of cloth over them. The eggs (21 of them) are on top of the cloth. I also have a dish of water and a damp rag for humidity. The thermometer fluctuates between 95-101 degrees over the period of several hours. I will not be able to measure the humidity until tomorrow. I would like to share the results of my experiment with you, as well as ask for and tips/advice! Do you think they will survive?

I do not understand what HAND WARMERS,,,,, you are using.
You may have a semi-successful hatch, but with the fluctuating temps. most likely a delayed one. The humidity, if not at correct level can lead to shrink wrapped chicks, or drowned one. If you do not keep moving the eggs, also a bad thing.
I understand you are experimenting,,,,,,, so hats off to you :thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

I do not understand what HAND WARMERS,,,,, you are using.
You may have a semi-successful hatch, but with the fluctuating temps. most likely a delayed one. The humidity, if not at correct level can lead to shrink wrapped chicks, or drowned one. If you do not keep moving the eggs, also a bad thing.
I understand you are experimenting,,,,,,, so hats off to you :thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

thank you! They are Hot Hands hand warmers. It seems now they are settling at 96 degrees, but since I will have to change them daily I’m sure the fluctuation will be normal. I hope to get the warmers started heating before exchanging them so that they may remain somewhat at the same temperature throughout the process. They are on day 3, so I am hoping that monitoring the correct humidity tomorrow will be enough.

Back
Top Bottom