1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubation Frustration..(first time luck) Got pics now

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harryg6167, Dec 20, 2009.

1. harryg6167

harryg6167 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Kentwood
    Alright, so it was my first eggs to incubate by myself. Put the eggs in and was thinking
    I was going to have a Christmas hatch until I realized that 21 days from the first of
    the month was about the 21st not the 25th. No, problem there so I just re-did the chart I had made to keep up with the turning of the eggs and also kept the temp and humidity
    charted as I went along.
    My wife and two younger children left Friday morning to go to my in-laws. My oldest daughter came and stayed with me and we plan to go over to my in-laws after the eggs hatch.
    Lockdown started Friday morning on these eggs and problems started Friday night when my daughter came outside to my office saying it was too hot in house for her and wanted to turn down the heat. Fine,no problem. Several hours later I went in to a chilly house for me and temps that had dropped down to like 89 F in both incubators. I stayed up a few hours after turning the temps in incubator up and the heat in house back on and kept playing with the temps until I had them back where I need them.
    Out of 10 eggs, 9 of them pipped Saturday starting around 8 pm. (The 10th egg was no good as I found out today, could not tell when I candled because of dark green shell color) I can't sleep much at night because of my back which keeps me up with the pain and to top it off, chicks in the shell cheeping all night did not help.
    Everything was going fine today with them. Could see the little beaks pecking the shell away getting ready to make their grand entrance then CRASH!
    My daughter little 5lb furrball yorkie decides to do a little climbing and exploring and down goes the incubator scattering the 10 eggs all over the floor helping to crak them some more. Chicks went to cheeping even louder. I hurried and put eggs in other incubator and got the crashed bator back up and going and transferred them back to it.
    Was just a little upset over it but now I am all over being upset and have 9 little chicks running all over in the incubator acting like they want to get out already.
    Maybe the next hatch (next weekend and 30 eggs) will not be too stressful.
    Didn't mean to ramble on so much but could not figure how to condense it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Post some pics of those little chicks! Congrats!

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    That doggie just wanted to help them out.....Enjoy your family and your hatch.....

Oohh, how I miss kids seeing the hatchings......

Best times I remember were sharing the hatchings with them......

Just enjoy and remember how blessed you are families and chickies who love you!!!!!

Lucky you:weee

Have a most blessed and Happy Christmas and New Year's.

4. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Well thats quite the hatching drama! So glad to here none were hurt during the ordeal! Congrats and yes we need some pics!!

5. harryg6167

Jun 20, 2009
    Kentwood
    Oh, we have been having to keep the wife and 2 youngest kids updated with
    pictures daughter is sending with her phone. They keep wanting more pictures.
    Will post some pictures as soon as I figure out where a camera is. The last
    chick just hatched a few minutes ago and so far all of them are doing good.
    And, that doggie knew she was in trouble. She went to the couch and pouted.
    But everything is good now.
    Merry Christmas to all of ya'll and hope the New Year brings a good year for everyone.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    True hatching drama.

I did my first candle tonight on our New Year's Hatch and had to discard a goodly number of eggs.

O well!

7. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Dang, I need to get a dog! These 72 hour hatches are killing me.

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    congratulations on your hatch.......
    bad Dog [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Happy Holidays

9. harryg6167

Jun 20, 2009
    Kentwood
    I think we have like 4 digital cameras here at the house and the wife
    and kids must have all of them with them in Mississippi. Had to get a
    picture with camera and have daughter email it to me. Didn't turn out to good
    but it will have to do until I can do better I guess. (did away with not so good picture and replaced with these 2)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    About 20 to 30% of the time I hatch, something goes wrong the last three days. I swear it's like starting up a Murphy's Law MAGNET. I'm hatching come *%&&$& with me. Most common here are power outtages, we live in major woods and all power lines are subject to tree and limb falls. But fans quit at the worst time or the dog unplugs something. It can make you crazy. And when it's 100 eggs instead of 10, it's worse. Or when it's my shipped eggs, it's always more likely to happen. I've just sort of gotten used to it over time - now it's more like - oh look... new disaster... charming...

Glad they made it and all your dog did was free them a bit early...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by