Incubation Frustration- Have I messed up?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DeaBea, Mar 7, 2015.

1. DeaBea

DeaBea New Egg

Mar 7, 2015
    So I started 20 eggs in my LG Still Air with turner and quail rails on Feb.21; three days later we lost electricity for over 24 hours. I chose to leave them in and restart since it was early in the process, and because that was every egg they laid since I set up my coop, more than 2weeks of collecting! I could not tell any change when candling the eggs. In 2 days they blessed me with 24 eggs so in the incubator they went on the 27th! I have my temp at 100 but humidity is about 70% and I've been trying to increase humidity because the "chart I used as a guide says 80 then 90; I just realized that was wet bulb temp and not percent % humidity, which is what me gauge reads!! Have I messed up all 40 eggs?- I still don't know what to expect when checking the eggs today-March 6. No bad smell or outward indicator- which ones do I throw out??

2. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Id give them all at least one more day. The power outage will slow your hatch down at best. A lot of factors determine just how much damage was done. The "First eggs" are always hit or miss too. Add in the fact that some of the eggs were old before you set them, I would'nt expect a good hatch rate from the first group... But on the other hand your second group still has high hope. I'd be sure my plugs were out of the bator. Let it breathe, just keep water rings full till you're sure where you're at with the first batch... After a day or so id chuck the remaining eggs and let my humidity fall to around 40-45%.... If you are sure your thermometer is right, I would also tweek it up a degree too. A still air should incubate at 101 deg.... But better a little cool than hot. I dont know how familiar you are with the LG, but iv never seen one that was'nt real touchy with thermostat adjustment. Move it very little at a time and watch it close. They have a tendency to spike when you aint look'n! Good luck, Bill

1 person likes this.
  3. DeaBea

DeaBea New Egg

Mar 7, 2015
    Still don't know what I've got going on but its time to move the first set of eggs off the turner. I did get another temp spike on this incubator and so frustrated because there seems to be too much light passing thru all the eggs...just going thru the motions at this point.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by