Incubation help chicks developed but maybe to large to hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dustponds10, Apr 20, 2012.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well, here I am again. I just hatched out around 6 birds they are great and they are doing well. I had about 15 egges with babies in them and they were fully developed and well i am unsure what happened. this is my incubation conditions this last hatch. Temp was 99.6 give or take a tenth of a degree. It was dang stable though. I hatch in a Dickie incubator that is a cabinet. Humidity was 38-40 during the first 18 days, then I bumped it to 60-62 for lock down. Any ideas would be great. Thanks all

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Did you already cracked opened the eggs? i'm not quite clear on your question. Your humidity is kind of low for the first 17 days or are you trying the dry method? Your temp should be higher if doing the dry method, I haven't done the dry method but I believe the temp should be around 100 to 101. Your humidity should be around 50 to 55 if you have a fan.. 60 to 62 is good for lockdown. But again I'm not real clear on what you are asking. Can you please give more info?

3. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Just read what I wrote and didnt finish the post. Sorry, I am not trying to do the dry method. I am just trying to figure it out. My question is why do these fully developed chicks not hatch? They do apear large to be stuffed into the egg. So I dont know if I have too much heat or if I have to much humidity. I have cracked the eggs and that is what I found. I guess with this hatch I could try the dry hatch method. I am going to be setting some eggs soon. Could you post a link to that method please? I would really like to know what you all think my problem is with these other chicks. Kind of frustrating really.

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
  5. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Ok, the chicks did have their yolks absorbed, the membrain was white. You would guess the humidity on days 1-17 are what? To high, to low? Just curious. I will take pictures next time. I will be hatching my own eggs from now on for a while so I will just see what works best. I was worried about it because I have been hatching shipped eggs. I got 50% which I think was good but in cracking the eggs and taking a look the others were all but hatched. They were dead, but developed. Ill get pictures next time.

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Humm interesting, they were all absorbed but dead? Humm, Well I can only tell you what has worked for me, I have a fan and my temp runs on average 99 to 101 I keep the humidity up to about 50 - 55 days 1-17 and on day 17 I stop turning. On day 18 I boost the humidity up to 60 - 65 and let them come out. I have 10 Phoenix eggs right now in lockdown, they are due to hatch sunday but I can already hear them and see them starting to crack open. I wonder if yours didn't lose enough water the first 17 days and dried up. But that doesn't make to much sense because you said you had it up to 60 - 65 at lockdown. Which should have been high enough.

Where is your fan? do you have the fan blowing directly on them? This will dry out the egg. I'm wondering if maybe this could be what you are experiencing???

7. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    My fan is not blowing right on the eggs. It is in the top of the incubator and it blows across the water to create humidity. it pulls the air up from the bottom of the incubator and then shoots it twords the door to circulate the air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by