incubation help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by matt richmond, Mar 25, 2017.

1. matt richmond

matt richmond Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2017
    Dubois Indiana
    Hi I am new and I hope I am doing this thread right

I am trying to incubate duck eggs and every time I have one to start growing it dies by day14 what could this be ??? I have had 3-4 die and I thought it was temp extremes but the last one the temp was perfect what is going on

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    How do you know they are dead?

3. matt richmond

Mar 20, 2017
    Dubois Indiana
    Because the in side turns blochy or they have blood rings Metzer farm candleing web page says that if it turns blochy it's dead and I decided to leave one in the incubator thinking that maybe I was wrong it started stinking [​IMG]

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! [​IMG] There are a number of factors that could be involved. Where are you getting your eggs (local, shipped, your own flock)? What kind are they? What kind of incubator are you using, and what temp/humidity setting?

Do you do eggtopsies on the eggs that don't hatch?

5. matt richmond

Mar 20, 2017
    Dubois Indiana
    I get the eggs from my own flock

And I think I might have figured out why the others died due to me marking the egg with a dry erase maker and ta duck book that I have says that this can poison the eymbro.

6. matt richmond

Mar 20, 2017
    Dubois Indiana
    So I got a egg that is approaching the 14 day mark with no marker on what so ever. Hopefully this one won't die

7. FoodFreedomNow

I hadn't heard about dry erase markers being toxic to incubating eggs before, but given how they smell, it seems plausible. I've used a regular Sharpie without issue on eggs under a broody (because the pencil marks were rubbing off), but only use pencil on eggs in the incubator.

Good luck! Let us know what you find at candling.[​IMG]

8. matt richmond

Mar 20, 2017
    Dubois Indiana
    Today is day 14 for one of my eggs and it is still alive [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. FoodFreedomNow

Congrats! Halfway (assuming these aren't Muscovy eggs, of course) there. [​IMG]

10. matt richmond

Mar 20, 2017
    Dubois Indiana
    No these are not Muscovy duck eggs so yes half way

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by