incubation help

matt richmond

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2017
Dubois Indiana
Hi I am new and I hope I am doing this thread right

I am trying to incubate duck eggs and every time I have one to start growing it dies by day14 what could this be ??? I have had 3-4 die and I thought it was temp extremes but the last one the temp was perfect what is going on

Because the in side turns blochy or they have blood rings Metzer farm candleing web page says that if it turns blochy it's dead and I decided to leave one in the incubator thinking that maybe I was wrong it started stinking
1f623.png

Because the in side turns blochy or they have blood rings Metzer farm candleing web page says that if it turns blochy it's dead and I decided to leave one in the incubator thinking that maybe I was wrong it started stinking
1f623.png
Hi!
frow.gif
There are a number of factors that could be involved. Where are you getting your eggs (local, shipped, your own flock)? What kind are they? What kind of incubator are you using, and what temp/humidity setting?

Do you do eggtopsies on the eggs that don't hatch?

I get the eggs from my own flock

And I think I might have figured out why the others died due to me marking the egg with a dry erase maker and ta duck book that I have says that this can poison the eymbro.

I get the eggs from my own flock

And I think I might have figured out why the others died due to me marking the egg with a dry erase maker and ta duck book that I have says that this can poison the eymbro.

I hadn't heard about dry erase markers being toxic to incubating eggs before, but given how they smell, it seems plausible. I've used a regular Sharpie without issue on eggs under a broody (because the pencil marks were rubbing off), but only use pencil on eggs in the incubator.

So I got a egg that is approaching the 14 day mark with no marker on what so ever. Hopefully this one won't die

Good luck! Let us know what you find at candling.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom