incubation help.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kevin565, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Something has been getting to my duck's eggs. One appears to be pipping so i went ahead and brought it in. Right now it is under my heat lamp. What else do i need to do?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

It needs high humidity or it gets shrink wrapped. Do you have an aquarium or something similar so you can generate moisture?

3. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    I do have two aquariums in the room. What do i need to do to them to help?

4. katharinad

Wonderful. You need to line at least 2 sides with cotton fabric or towels going all the way down. Then you add 100 degree water so the towels will wick up the water. That will generate the humidity needed. Next build a little raised floor to put the egg on. Cover most of the top so the moisture stays inside of it. Add the heat lamp and you should be fine. They should be out of the egg within 24 hours from the pip. Keep an eye on it, and watch for when they only have one hole pecked out and don't seem to go around. That is a sign for shrink wrapping and you may have to help. We can get to that when we need to help. It is best not to interfere so don't rush it.

5. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    ok. Thank you so much!

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    ok now i am confused. The egg has some opening when i brought it in so i assumed it was alive. Now im not sure. It has a little bit of a odor and its not rocking back and forth or moving. How do i check if its alive?

7. katharinad

Hold it to your ear and see if you hear a tapping or scratching sound. Be aware that they sometimes sleep in between. You can check the small pip and see if there is bad smelling liquid coming out, that would be a sign of a bad one. It there is a pip you can open it a little bit more, but be careful while doing this. Also use a flash light in a dark room to see any movement and the size of the air sack. If it has pipped the air sack should be filled. Movement is sometimes hard to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by