Incubation Humidity Advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Will02, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Will02

Will02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2016
    How do I keep my humidity stable? I need it to be in low - mid sixties, but if I spray in water it goes to high so I hold the lid open for about 10 seconds. After the 10 seconds it goes down but it goes too low. Eventually I get it where I want it but how do I just get it to stay stable? Please Help! Thanks!

2. RugerFan777

RugerFan777 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2016
    Try dry incubation. Works better.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I was wondering what you are incubating with needing it to be mid sixties? Are you in lockdown and are needing it that high for hatch?
    As water naturally evaporates during incubation you will need to keep topping up. Humidity is created by surface area of water so the more surface area you have the higher it will go. Spraying will create more surface area therefore make it go higher. Have you tried a small wet sponge to keep the surface down? If it's not high enough you could add another or take one away if it's too high.
    Humidity can't be an exact number as the water evaporates but as long as you have a good average and your air cells grow adequately you should be ok.

4. Will02

Will02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2016
    Thanks!

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    xs 2
    This is the method I use for incubation where humidity and checking air cells are concerned: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by