1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubation humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wildweisswife, Mar 3, 2017.

1. wildweisswife

wildweisswife New Egg

Mar 3, 2017
    Hello I've been reading different things about humidity but I was wondering , my humidity is at 58% , 24 hours after putting eggs in the incubator . Is this detramental to my embryos ? I haven't added water I know it will go down but should I speed up this process ?

2. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    Buy a hudometer and until the last 3 days of incubation the eggs should be at 50-55% and in the last 3 days of incubation 70-75% humidity

3. wildweisswife

wildweisswife New Egg

Mar 3, 2017
    yes I have one and I know that but that doesn't really answer the question of should I speed up the Lessing of humidity and will it affect my eggs

4. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Humidity is a very trial and error thing. A lot of times it is specific to your certain circumstances.

For me if I tried to incubate that high I would have a lot of drowned chicks when they pip. I get my best hatches at 25 to 35 percent during incubation. Then raise to 70 plus for hatch.

Best thing I can say is monitor the air cells. Try this batch this way. If it works try to repeat it. If it doesn't work make a change to the humidity less or more depending on the hatch this time and try again. After a couple of batches you should find what works best.

If your air cells are not getting big enough and you want to speed up humidity removal use rice in a cup in the corners of the incubator. Or some silica gel packs. Like what comes in new shoes or beef jerky.

As far as being a detriment to your eggs after 24 hours no they haven't been hurt. Just candle on day 7 and 14 to check progress.

Good Luck with your hatch.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I'm with feedman. Anything higher than 45% with standard eggs makes me cringe. For most table top hatchers that would drown half the chicks. I run 30% until day 18. Day 18 I go into lockdown, higher humidity to 75%.
    To answer your question, being that high at start won't be detrimental to them. Humidity is detrimental as an average. Unlike temps you have plenty of room to adjust without compromise. I'll share a link with you. It's the method I use. You can empty the water and start dry, or let the humidity come back down and monitor the air cells to make sure they grow.
    http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

6. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    I'll second that. I am currently hatching about 120 a month and run 25/35% and the 80%. My hatch rates are in the 90s.

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

Hey stranger! :hugs

8. Matthew01

Matthew01 Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    Is it OK if my humidity goes up and down between 25 and 50 for the first 18 days.

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The steadier your numbers are the better, but it all comes down to the air cell growth. Personally, I'd take out the water and if it stays above 25%, I'd run dry and monitor air cells and only add water if the air cells start growing too fast. Then I would add a wet sponge instead of messing with water wells until lockdown. Basically, I follow this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

10. Matthew01

Matthew01 Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    Ok thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by