1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubation Humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Burgs, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Burgs

Burgs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2015
    Canterbury
    Just a quick one but what's the ideal humidity for hatching?? I think it's between 50-60% for the first 18 days then 60-70% for the rest that right???

I only ask because I've read so many variations

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    It really depends on your incubator and your area. If I kept my humidity at 50% for the first 18 days, my embryos would all drown. 30% is what works for me. I'd start somewhere around 40% and keep an eye on the air cells and adjust as you go, so you can figure out what's going to work best for you.

For the last three days 65% is usually good.

3. Burgs

May 25, 2015
    Canterbury
    Okey dokey how do I check the air cells I've never done that before? My incubator says should be 55% for the first 18 days but that seams very high!

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Yeah, never pay attention to the humidity instructions, lol. They are very often just general guidelines and they don't work for all.

You want to just make sure the air cell is growing at the appropriate rate when you candle, and make adjustments if it's not. Here's a chart:

[​IMG]

5. Burgs

May 25, 2015
    Canterbury
    Excellent thanks very much :) I'll keep humidity at about 45-50% and I'll go from there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by