Incubation Myths?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by trent-mo, Apr 18, 2008.

1. trent-mo

trent-mo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2008
    I read on one website that it is CRITICAL to turn the eggs an odd number of times, is it true?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Not sure its critical but if you want to learn the correct ways to hatching and incubation yes....eggs should be turned 3 or 5 times a day..turning an odd number of times a day by hand is helpful to keep the yolk sac from settling to one side and it gives the embryo a good excercise for healthy chicks....if you have a turner it does all the work for you....

3. trent-mo

trent-mo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2008
    oh i see, it just seemed strange. :|

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    The odd number of turns is so that at the end of the day the egg won't rest in the same position overnight every night, like it would if you turned an even number of times.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    some just say three times, because if you only turn twice , you always would have the same side of the egg at up or down. But if you turn every twelve hours its okay, you just want a equal up / down time . I personally turned 7 am,3pm and 11pm

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

If I turn mine at 5am, 7:30 pm, and 9:30pm would that work out ok, or is the last gap too short? I need to know because those are the times I wake up, get home, and go to bed- the only reasonable times for me to turn.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    That would work fine...I turn around 8 a.m. at 3 p.m. or so and nightly around 9 or 10 p.m. Just so you turn odd numbers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by