Incubation of eggs first time user

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VVChicks, Aug 18, 2014.

1. VVChicks

VVChicks New Egg

:D Yay I have five new babies but six to go we are on the 23rd day now, how long should I keep them in there for, or should I assume that they have died, in the egg?:(:cd
    If anyone can assist I would be most grateful

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi, congrats on your five new chicks. Do you hear peeping coming from the remaining 6? Or is there any sign of pipping or moving? We're your temps ok during incubation some times slightly lower temps can delay a hatch. Did your first five hatch on day 21? Or we're they late too? If it were me I would leave while end of day 24 then candle to see if there is any movement. Hope this helps.:fl

3. VVChicks

VVChicks New Egg

Hi, The temperature is 37.5 and has been a steady temperature, The first chick hatched at 12:30am on the 22nd day the second at 2:25am, the third at 09:45am. the last two hatched on the 23rd day at around 2 am. I have candled the remaining 6 and can see the chcik but cannot see movement, Its hard to hear if they are peeping as the brooder is not far away from the incubator. I will probably give it until the end of the week and will then assume that they have died within the egg?

The five chicks that have hatched are doing really well :)

We had a batch born in March 2014, which hatched under my broody hen, unfortunately with every effor over that last four months each one passed away. Just wish I knew the cause. This time around I am making every effort to stop this from happening again.
    Wish me luck

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi glad your five are doing are ok. I would think that by the end of the week if nothing has happened it would be a safe bet that they have died unfortunately. I would just keep checking for bad smells coming from your incubator. Good luck with your five and any future hatches.:thumbsup

5. VVChicks

VVChicks New Egg

Thank you, today when I returned from work we candled three of them and they soon went cold within seconds of being out of the incubator. My husband decided to open the eggs and sadly found three of them had died. We have taken a stethoscope to the remaining 3 and believe that we can hear a faint heart beat. So I'm hoping that they will be fine. I love my chickens, something I never thought I could enjoy, but I'm hooked ever since my hubby bought 2 adult hens home. They are comical and I love them dearly. :) :)
    Thank you for your help xx

1 person likes this.
  6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    No problems glad to be here. Hope this doesn't put you off hatching more it is all part of the learning process. Which can sometimes be heartbreaking I have done plenty of crying over chicks and chickens. I try to think if it was unable to hatch then maybe unable to survive. Nature has a way of removing the weakest. Me getting into chickens was the same as you other half bought a cheap coop and run and two hens I was horrified as I was bird phobic convinced they were going scratch and peck my eyes out!!!! How mad is that!! Amy and Penny as they were called grew on me then I couldn't stop. Sadly lost them to a fox attack so upset cried for days and never thought I would over a chicken.:frow

7. VVChicks

VVChicks New Egg

You have been most helpful thank you. I have some more bad news we candled the remaining three and can confirm that some had not formed properly and one was fully formed and must have been to weak to make its way out. we reckon the chick died less than a day ago. No its not going to put me off at all, I plan to do thing from text book now. However I was a little upset that the eggs that I most wanted to hatch were the Serama eggs but hey ho I have five lovely chicks and my husband has aggreed to get more Serama or Pekin eggs for me next week.

I have a lovely video of one of my chicks hatching and I still find it all amazing and love watching it over and over again.

:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by