1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubation period of wood duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlittle32, Apr 3, 2010.

1. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    How long is the incubation period and at what temp and humidity? Thanks! Any other pointers that I have to know????

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    28-30 days and I would keep temp. and humidity the same as domesticated ducks.

3. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Can I put them in a turner?

4. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    If its a hovabator turner, I wouldn't. Personally, I would hand turn them on their sides 3 times a day.

5. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    Ok...thanks! Anything else I should know? lol

6. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Just try not to worry about them too much, it seems to go better when you act like there is nothing being incubated. Did you just take these eggs away or did the mother lay on them for a week or so?

7. chickenlittle32

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    An old man...that we bought one of our pairs from was selling out of his breeders...was getting too hard for him to keep them etc...was getting rid of his nest boxes...etc....when someone found the eggs...he broke a couple thinking they weren't good...and saw blood and veining in the cracked egg....he called me immediately to see if I'd incubate them....there were a total of 15 left....I candled them all...and there is starting of veining....I can try to take a pic if you'd like....

8. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    That would be awesome! Our hen is laying her clutch right now, I think she'll start setting on them in a couple days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by