Incubation Questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skullgrrrl, Mar 6, 2017.

1. skullgrrrl

skullgrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Question re:hatching eggs. The best temp to store them pre-incubation is 10-15c. I can't find a room in my house that is consistently that temp. Is it better to be a bit high or a bit low?

What causes some chicks to develop and die during incubation/before hatch?

2. 10AcreChick

10AcreChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    Central Missouri
    Well, I just set 49 eggs in my incubator a week ago. Prior to setting, they were kept in a room that was 60-70F, as I also do not have a room in my house that stays cool. At Day 7 candle, 47 were viable and growing. So I don't know how important storage temperature actually is. Just no major fluctuations, I would say...[​IMG]

3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

Storage temp is important, but I don't think it's as narrow as the guidelines they give you. I try to keep temps under 70. Eggs will have sporadic development over 80 degrees so you definitely don't want that happening, and you don't want them freezing either. There are hatchers that have decent rates with refrigerated eggs, but refrigeration of hatching eggs isn't recommended.
    The numbers they give you is the ideal temps. But, success can be found outside the ideal as well. Ideally, a cool moist basement would be good storage. Keep eggs cool and humidity up. I'm afraid the mice would have breakfast though. [​IMG]

4. skullgrrrl

skullgrrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
  5. DuckMD

DuckMD Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    I am new to incubating eggs. How long can the eggs be stored prior to incubating them. Any ideas or thread suggestions would be most welcome TIA

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Many hatchers only set eggs a week old or less. The most recommended is 10 days or less and most agree that over 2 weeks viability drops.

7. lilwildrabbit

lilwildrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2017
    Brinson Georgia
    I just had a emergency hatch from eggs over 20 days old and half were from the refridgerator I had a super hatch of 15 from 60 eggs at 25% more than I ever expected my expiration was 0 to maybe 2 max so don't count your chickens till they hatch I'm on fresh eggs now and cooking 25 should be more hatch than before but you can get some hatch from old eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by