Incubation temp help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sebek18, Feb 28, 2015.

1. sebek18

sebek18 New Egg

Feb 28, 2015
    Hello everyone, first day on this site as an actual user but I've been reading lots in this website. I started incubating my eggs and I am not sure if the temperature should be 37.8c inside the egg or the temperature in the incubator? I have an aquarium thermometer showing me that inside would be around 37.8 but the actual heat is set to 40c. Someone please help!!! Thank you

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

The temp should be read at the top of the egg, you may well see some temp drift, machine reading to top of egg temp. Have you checked the temp with another thermometer, to verify it works properly? You might want to start there, I am not sure fish tank ones are close enough for incubation requirements.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

3. sebek18

sebek18 New Egg

Feb 28, 2015
    I have used fish tank thermometer in a glass of water to check and bought two digital thermometers and used a meat thermometer and getting different readings haha. It's a forced air incubator so I am guessing it should have a stable temp everywhere but not sure what temp it should be when I actually put a thermometer in.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    The temp in the bator should be 99.5F (37.5C) for forced air. Theoretically the air temp should be even throughout in a forced air bator, but I still find hot/cool spots in mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by