Incubation Temperature?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lucky1, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Lucky1

Lucky1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a still air incubator that i am going to hatch a dozen eggs with, what is the maximum temperature that your eggs can handle before something happens to them?? I want to make sure that i NEVER go over it!

Thanks, Lucky

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    anything over 102 and above not good and also to low not good. try to keep get between 99 and 101. Good luck.

3. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    I've had temps in my still air 106 ish and they survived. Just yesterday I was gone for 12+ hours and the temp at the top of the eggs was 89, all are alive and are now in lockdown. I've read on here before how people have had spikes to 115 and others have had power failures, they still get chicks to hatch.
    You have a good margin for error, but try to keep it as close to ideal as possible!

4. Lucky1

Lucky1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:

Holy cow! 106 degrees for the whole entire time! You must be lucky, i have heard of chicks that die at 101.5 because the temperature was to hot for them to handle! What breed are they? Mine will be a red sex-link x Plymouth Barred rock cross from my friends farm :) How many eggs did you put in and how many made it to lockdown?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  5. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    No, not the whole time, THAT would kill them i'm almost certain. It was for about 4-5 hours. I'm not saying at all that the temperature did not kill some, but it didn't kill all of them.
    The first hatch, out of the ones that were fertilized and developping, there were 14, 10 made it to lockdown and 8 hatched.
    This time, I have 10 in lockdown so we shall see. I can't remember how many were viable.. I think it was around 20.. so, this hasn't gone so well.

Also, you want temps in a still air at 101.5, so I doubt even 102 would make a difference.
    -------------------------------------------

ETA, I just went through my posts and found out about this hatch. Okay, so I had 18 developping (not 20 like I said before) I candled before bed one night, and all were doing great. Got up in the morning and the temp was 105 (who knows how long it was like that) and only 13 were still alive. Then lost 3 more for whatever reason and that leaves us to 10 as of right now.
    So, I think it really depends. I don't understand why it would kill some and not all [​IMG].

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by