Incubation Temps, Humidity, and Times

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckboatprincess, Sep 2, 2009.

1. duckboatprincess

duckboatprincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Okay... so I'm getting some duck eggs and some chicken eggs and I plan on incubating them together. My questions are:

How long does it take chicken eggs and duck eggs to hatch?

What temperature should the incubator be for chicken and duck eggs?

What should the humidity be for hatching chicken and duck eggs?

Anything I should do different because I will be hatching them together?

Thanks for any help!

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Okay, I tried to answer each question as well as I could:

Quote:

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Hello--I can't speak for chicken eggs, but the duck egg info you've gotten so far is correct. Humidity should be around 65% and then going up to 80% by the time of hatching. It will be difficult to hatch them together, but it wouldn't be the first time someone has done it. Conditions don't have to be ideal to be good enough.

I would put the duck eggs in a week early if you can afford to wait to put the chicken eggs in, that way they will hatch together. Otherwise, you're either going to have ducks eggs sitting in humidity that's too high (so the air cell can't develop properly) during the chicken hatch, or you're going to have chickens stuck to their shells because the humidity is too low.

However, ducks like higher humidity in the bator anyway, so it probably won't hurt them too much to have a few days of higher humidity while the chicks hatch, especially since overall your humidity will be lower to accommodate the chicken eggs--so it's probably something of a wash.

You will have trouble cleaning the incubator though, with the duck eggs still in there--and believe me, you will want to clean it--it will be gross after the chicken hatch, and all that bacteria and humidity adds up to a breeding ground for illness for the unhatched ducks.

The down side to putting the duck eggs in a week early is that means the chicken eggs sit for a week. Only do this if you know they are extremely fresh--every week that they sit outside the bator their hatchability will go down.

So, there are pros and cons either way, and either method will take some special care. I hope you have excellent results!

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Good to see I was fairly correct. I've never incubated duck eggs, just chicken.

5. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Quote:Chickens: 21
    Ducks: 28

40%-50% on days 1- 18
    55%-70% on day 18 till hatch

On day 18 for the chickens put the humidity up to 55% once all of the eggs hatch gradually lower humidity back down to 40% - 50%

Goodluck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by