Incubation time?

Brownie101

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 23, 2014
I am going to be hatching California Valley quail and I am wondering how long the I incubation time should be and, after they hatch how long is it till they can fly? I have read lots of books but they say the incubation should take 16-25 days and I need a more specific time line. Thanks for any help.

The incubation time is 22 to 23 days. All birds can fly when they are fully feathered. However as to how well they fly depends on if they have had access to flight cages and such. Takes time to develop flight muscles.

It sounds like these may be some of your first quail... Your birds will be able to fly out of your brooder at two weeks old or less... You need a lid and to be ready for that....;-) they are quick little buggers when they are sprint'n around your livingroom!

you probably should of started with Coturnix... Little better at forgiving you if you screw something up...

I respectfully disagree... I'v always been a firm believer that you should raise the quail you want to raise..... Its true that old world quail are a bit easier to hatch and easier to raise. Kinda like the "Guppies" of the game bird world..... But folks seem to kill them off with great regularity too. Valley quail are not out of your reach if that is what you want....Do your research.....You seem to be on the right path. You'll do fine, and if you dont, ask some questions and try again. Many of us have raised a lot of new world quail and will be glad to help you out. Eggs are not that pricey and you'll end up with something other than "Guppies".... They are new world quail and a bit more nervous than others. While they are not a bird that will ever eat from your hand, they are a awesome little bird and they make a sound that reminds me of a very small dog, barking in a large jar! They use a lot of heart beats pace'n around when stressed. They are not as aggressive as most new world species and will happily share a pen with Texas Blue Scale or Gambel's quail up to breeding season. They are a first spring breeder in nature and have a short natural laying season. Forcing them with lights has mixed results as fertility usually suffers. Dont give them meal worms as these look like the toes of pen mates and can induce toe picking. I raise them in pens with a very low top, 12".... they will boink on occasion....If yours is taller you can pad it or just be aware that they are prone to flushing. Good luck and Have fun....BIll

Quote: I couldn't agree more! My first quail were Bobwhites. And anyone that knows something about Bobs will tell you that you must have a screw loose to start with these birds. Ha! And YES, it was definitely trial by fire at first, LOL, but when you start with a breed that might be a bit more of a handful, you come out of it knowing so much more. The New World species of quail such as the California can be quite rewarding to raise. Yes, I would never recommend any these species of birds to beginner quail keepers, however I would NEVER talk them out of it either if that is what they wanted to keep.

For Brownie101, I think you will enjoy these birds. They are so pretty and enjoyable to keep. The only thing I would recommend is be very attentive to the chicks when you get them into the brooder. They can be hard to keep alive at first. Sometimes they can be hard to get started eating. So you will want to crush their feed and sprinkle it all around the feeder area on a paper towel. Keep tapping with your fingers to get them to eat. Keep doing this until all of them have figured it out. Same with water...dip their beaks in the water several times a day for a few days. Californias are hard sometimes to get going but once they learn they should do fine. And handle them a LOT as babies. This will help keep them tamer and less skittish as adults.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom