Incubation Worries

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lacey1988, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    I find it amusing that there is two types of people who incubate eggs..The kind that follow everything to the tee temperature perfect humidity perfect then there the other type that just wing it(thats me!) well at least with the humidity....I don't even have a hygrometer except for the one that the incubator came with but I add water to it every week or when needed...So which one are you?

2. fduncan

fduncan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2012
    Northwest Colorado
    I'm winging it this time :) . My hatches last year didnt work out so well with my constant attention to every detail so this time I've really only watched the temp added a little water as needed and judging by the last time I candled if they hatch I'll succeed in having my best hatch ever :)

3. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Don't know if you've read any of my other post, BUT I'm one for complete accuracy. 1/2 degree in temperature, 1-2 % difference in humidity & thermometer and/or incubators that are able to provide that accuracy. I don't want to worry or stress about chicks not hatching.

4. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I am pretty precise on temp, but I like 99.0. I don't use any water until ready to hatch then I just keep the paper towel moist in the hatcher. I may or may not turn eggs twice a day. Sometimes I forget. I have had great hatches.

5. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    yeah the temperature is mostly what I worry about.....ha I would probably be more concerned if I was doing some expensive purebreds...Cause if I paid $40 for only a dozen eggs I'd be watching everything like a hawk lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by