Incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sadlierclan, Feb 21, 2017.

1. sadlierclan

sadlierclan New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    Hi I was wondering if anyone does the dry incubation and what your recommendation would be for the vents at the back of the unit? I have chest style and it has vents to open/close on the back at top and bottom

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I weigh my eggs periodically to see how much weight they have lost. That is more accurate than shooting for a specific RH%.
    The vents need to be open, particularly for the last 2 weeks because the embryos need oxygen.
    Your incubator manufacturer should have specific recommendations for the vents based on design. They're all different.

3. sadlierclan

sadlierclan New Egg

Feb 21, 2017
    They do, but not for a dry incubation

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Follow the instructions on the vents. Dry just means you don't add as much water. However that may or may not be appropriate. The eggs should lose 0.65% weight per day if the humidity is correct.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I use a table top incubator and I have my vents open for the entire incubation. I run dry (for my standard eggs) as long as my incubator humidity stays above 25%, but prefer 30%. If the humidity is too low I add a wet sponge to the incubator to bring it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by