Incubator advice needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Louise Waffles, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    I need an incubator, for small batches of eggs, that is inexpensive and reliable. I would not want to have to turn the eggs myself, because human error and sometimes I have to be gone for 16 hour days. I don't even know how often one would turn them. Anyway, want to hatch some eggs from a favorite chicken while she is still laying, and maybe just to make my own chickens in the future instead of buying from hatcheries. Any recommendations?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    How few a number of eggs do you want to hatch? If you really mean very small batches, then the Brinsea Minis are a good fit for what you want. They are pretty pricey though for such a small number of eggs. If you're okay with a larger incubator, the Incuview from Incubator Warehouse will do all you want in an incubator.

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Have you considered looking for a custom incubation service ? usually they charge $0.50 an egg to set them and another $0.50 egg for every chick that hatches. that's only a dollar each to get your chicks hatched. that's pretty good.
    Best,
    Karen

4. Louise Waffles

Feb 1, 2017
    I see a fine opportunity to employ chicken math if I buy an incubator. "This thing must pay for itself, I must hatch more chicks"

If there was an incubator service local, I would go for it. I'm afraid to ship. Broken eggs, etc. And I want to know for sure it's Dorothy Parker's egg that I hatched.

I caught my precious girl laying an egg day before yesterday. They are few and far between, and she is the very best girl. I thought she had completely stopped laying. Anyway, looks like I'll spring for a $120 incubator. Thanks for the advice, @Pyxis & @3riverschick

5. Louise Waffles

Feb 1, 2017
    Haha! I will just use my muscovies! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by