1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubator advice, which way do i place eggs??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nitrousbhp, Oct 18, 2009.

1. nitrousbhp

nitrousbhp New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    hi everyone, just bought an r.com 20 egg automatic incubator and it suddenly dawned on me which way do i put the eggs, do they lay flat, do they go point end up, do they go wide end up, i know it sounds a stupid question but i have 20 eggs i have just put in and obv dont want to lose any, all help greatly appreciated, john:D

2. kywilber

kywilber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Lewisburg, Ky.
    not sure if you have a turner but my directions say to place with the small end down and when you take them out you let them rest in thier natural manner which is on thier sides with the small end slightly down..

hope that help

kywilber

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    pointy end down!

4. nitrousbhp

nitrousbhp New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    yep forgotto add it is an automatic turner as well:lol:

thanks for the very fast and helpfull replies, great forum!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  5. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    I have the R-Com20. The eggs go on their sides. The turner can't work if you put them on end.

Do you have the universal tray with the plastic bars that fit in the slots? Make sure they are adjusted so the eggs are not too tight and in a bind. They won't turn when the floor slides if they are tight against the rails.

This is an incredible incubator and should hold 20 chicken eggs on their sides.

6. nitrousbhp

nitrousbhp New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    hi, yep has the universal tray, trouble is my wife bought 24 eggs as she was told it would have room so some are now on sides and some with pointed end down nows shes in a right state coz shes wondering if they are going to be ok or if it would be better to see if she can get another incubator quick.

7. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    If you want the R-Com 20 to do all the work for you, only put in as many eggs as will fit in the universal rails on their sides. Any eggs in a bind, won't be turned properly, and could crack. Then you've got a mess and could contaminate the whole batch.

What are you incubating? I could fit at least 24 bantam or silkie eggs, but standard size eggs, maybe 20.

8. nitrousbhp

nitrousbhp New Egg

Oct 18, 2009
    hi, i've got 18 bantam sized(frizzles) but 6 copper black maran,which are a larger egg,they are not tightly packed so there's no way they will crack, was mainly worried if i'd got them the right way up as it dosn't mention it in the manual.

thanks to everyone for there help, i'll post some pics if all turns out ok...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by